Chapter Seventeen

Trigger warning: Panic attacks. There will be a summary at the end of the chapter for anyone who needs it. 

"Breaking news," said the 18 year old son of a long deceased news anchor "Our sources have confirmed that there is, in fact, a new plague to be worried about. Schools are shutting down across the country as officials in the government warn that this plague does affect people as young as 13 years old. The CDC has yet to confirm if this plague infects younger children than thirteen, but governments across the world are quickly going black as this plague begins to sweep the nation. Latest reports say there were at least 50 confirmed cases across the US in the last month, and that number has skyrocketed to 2000 in the past week."

As the news anchor went on, the four of us were glued to the TV unable to speak, paralyzed by fear. 2000 people was nothing compared to the Great Age Plague, but we were all gun shy about this. Schools being shut down were a big deal, and had been the first step to our parents' downfalls in the first place. I couldn't help but think of my mother. I knew she was watching us from heaven shaking her head in concern. Unfortunately for me, she would have known what to do. Before the broadcast was even over, she would have stood up, preparing the house and making phone calls before I could even ask her to explain what was going on. I was older now-- I knew what was happening-- but I wasn't sure what to do to protect myself. 

None of us breathed a word until a commercial break cut. Because of the decline in television networks, all the played was a place card as the news companies apparently went to get more information. Their best bet was independent bloggers, as since the plague most reporting had come from those sites and not big companies which had crumbled as their executives died. 

After a beat, Josh was the first to speak. 

"Shit. Holy mother of-- guys, this is serious," he said, his tone edging on panic. I curled up into the corner, watching Josh as he scanned his eyes around the room in fear, running his hands through his hair. To my relief, Cally stood up-- slowly, minding her stomach-- and put a hand on his arm. 

"No, we don't know that. It's only 2000 people-- that's nothing compared to what we've been through," she said. I noted that she didn't use the word "plague" because none of us wanted to hear that yet. 

"Yeah, they're probably just being extra cautious because of everything," I said, as if trying to convince myself and not them. Cally met my eyes and nodded, the first real moment we had shared in two weeks, but Josh began pacing the room with a manic energy. When I looked over at Keon, his eyes were glued to the floor in a type of shell shock. I wanted to snap my fingers in front of his face, but the pounding of my heart told me I needed to stop my anxiety before I hurt the babies. 

"I'm going outside," I mumbled, standing up as quickly as a could with my heavy stomach. Cally shot my a pitying look, but Josh only stared at me with a heartbreak in his eyes I couldn't place. Keon didn't move, didn't look up, completely in a trance. I stumbled out onto the balcony, ignoring the cold. 

Breathing in the chilly air, I held back a sob that was threatening to bubble up. I swore I was going to have a panic attack. My chest was tightening up. I could feel my hands shaking at my sides and my breath quicken without my control. I heard the words of the reporters echoing on a loop in my brain until the panic become a sizable monster I couldn't control anymore. I wanted to grab my hair, I wanted to scream, I wanted to run and get away-- I was having a heart attack. As my breath quickened, I swore I was going to reach my end. I was stuck in this loop of straight fear that pulsed through my veins and held me in its' grip at the same time. A distant part of my brain knew this was just a panic attack, but the fear of dying was still there no matter how I cut it. 

  This plague does affect people as young as 13 years old.   This plague does affect people as young as 13 years old. This plague does affect people as young as 13 years old.