Meliorism

Katie pulled you in for a hug when she saw you, "I knew you'd be back!" She exclaims excitedly, squeezing me so tight that I'm coughing and gasping "K-Katie" I say through a strangled voice. Katie lets go and goes to say hi to Matt then continue with her studies. "Such a hard worker.." I whisper to myself as I stay by Matt's side for the meal.

I didn't eat much causing Mrs Holt to panic and put the rest of the food in a container for me.. I just couldn't eat after all that happened in just one day. I smiled politely, laughed at Mr Holt's jokes until Matt dragged me to his bedroom, "Matty I can't stay-"
"I know I know-" he sighed through, "I just need to show you something" he hands me two nearly identical letters, one in my name the second in his. The Kerberos Mission.. as a medical assistant, it's my dream! I look at Matt, he was to be a Communication Expert/Junior Science Officer "Very fitting for the guy who can't learn any Earth languages." "Oh yeah? Well I can read code" "And so can I - Your sister taught me~"

We both flopped down onto his bed, laying side by side, he leans his head  on my chest and I play with his hair; softly singing to him the same song I've always sung to him, Everything Stays. (See YouTube Video to know what it sounds like) After spending around 30 minutes like this Mrs Holt knocked on the door, she looked hopeful when she saw us in bed together but that hope dropped when she saw it was platonic cuddles, "Y/N, you should start heading back to the Garrison sweet pea" she said in her sweet motherly tone. I nodded as she left the room, the door open- Matt and I snapped our heads to look at each-other and screamed "I CHIMED IN WITH A HAVEN'T YOU PEOPLE EVER HEARD OF CLOSING THE GODDAMN DOOR!!" We laughed hysterically afterwards, Matt throwing a shoe at the door to close it. I stood up to start getting ready but he whines trying to distract me. But I knew as well as he did I had to go. That I couldn't keep doing this. That we aren't really... he grabs me by the waist and pulls me down onto the bed ending up on top of me his legs at either side of me... family.

My face went bright red with blush. "What do I have to do to get you to spend the night?" He questioned, what seemed flirtatious to me was clearly him being playful. I grabbed his arm, and flipped him over stealing one of his jackets and leaving.

Katie came outside, "hey! I'll walk you down the road!" She says running towards me. I waited for her at the steps and we began walking. "We all really miss you." I don't respond, letting her talk as I walk in silence beside her, "Dad keeps going on and on about how he misses his third baby." She looks at me to gage my reaction, a soft smile but no words, "Mum is still cooking extras.. with every meal. It's clear now they knew you were leaving there. But we weren't the most secretive about it." She laughed through I let out a breathy laugh. "Um.. Matt.. misses you too, he doesn't really know what to do. He says the only reason he flirts with so many girls is that he misses you but I don't believe that." I rolled me eyes "Y/N.." she stops looking to the ground, "I miss you too.. I miss teaching each-other, I miss you waking up in the middle of the night to tell me to go to sleep.. so I'm going to be the greatest pilot you ever saw- just you wait!" She sounded so emotional, it was obvious she's the only one who knows I'm not coming back until I get a break. Tears stream down her face and I pull her in for a hug, "I'm sorry Katie. But hey.. I believe in you" she cries into me, as I just hold her, her small body pressed against mine. My sweet little sister, but she looked up at me with something else in her eye. I wonder what it was..

I continued on my way back sneaking in, unnoticed until, a strong hand rests on my shoulder, "boo!" Said the mans voice. I jumped and screamed, it was muffled by his hand as he turns a light on, revealing the same man who saved me and rejected those girls. Takashi Shirogane. I stumble back  "fucking hell you scared me!" I complained, holding my chest. "Language, Cadet." He said with a grin on his face. "Oh nite my ass, sir." I said in a joking tone and he gave the sweetest sounding laugh. "What were you doing out?" He quizzed you explained how you were at a "final goodbye" dinner at your best friends. You both ended up walking and talking somehow ending up outside.

He listened to you talk, genuinely caring what you have to say he asked about Kerberos, mentioning he'll be the pilot. "Well, I'm not getting my hopes up.. Medics aren't exactly necessary so if something happens, Iverson will remove me without a seconds thought." "Don't say that. I think you'll be an extremely valued member of the team, and besides you're already highly spoken of by every higher up you come into contact with whilst also being close to the other two crew members." He comforted you in such a logical way you just believed in him.

You agreed with him on everything he seemed to say as he talked more on Galaxy Garrison, the two of you ended up there till the early hours of the morning. "If I'm honest.. it makes me feel so guilty when I have to reject girls. They all seem so genuine I just don't feel the same. I wish I did. I hate hurting people like that." He explained, he seemed so true and honest that you couldn't help but feel for him. "It isn't your fault if someone falls in that kind of fragile love for you. I think that love happens over time, and it doesn't matter what gender, race, or appearance they have.. when you love someone, you love them. B-but what would I know..?" I looked away nervously fully grasping that what I said was dumb. "And what about hate?" "Hate is instantaneous. Hate spreads like wild fire and there's never anything you can do to stop it. So just sit back and be hated. That's what I do.. that's what life is like if you're different." I hug my knees to my chest. He shakes his head, his hand on my shoulder, "I think that.. people can and will make the world better and hate won't be needed anymore. If you just believe." He looked me in the eye as he said that, his grey eyes so genuine and true. "Meliorism.." "What's that?" "Meliorism.. it's the belief that the world can get better and humans will improve it." I explained, monotonous. "Then I believe in Meliorism." He said helping me up.

We walked the rest of the way in silence, finally arriving at my bunker at 4:45 am, 15 minutes before training. "Goodbye, Shiro." "Takashi." "Goodbye, Takashi-" I repeat as the door closes. I lay down on the bed.. if more people are like you, maybe I too believe in Meliorism.