Ephemeral

It's been a long time since that day, several months in fact, and my interactions with Takashi have been extremely limited. For some odd reason I longed to go out by the stars with him again, his words really seemed to impact me. Now, whenever I'm picked on I remember Meliorism, and how humans need to be the change so I do it. I stand up for myself and it's great! Matt and I see each other occasionally, I miss him more than anything. But today I have a class with Matt, the classes were merged for final exam preparation so we already knew what was going to happen. "Sit boy and girl this instant, Cadets" orders Iverson, we sit in the very back tucked away beside the window and a bookshelf so people knew we were there but it would be too much work to constantly check on us, since there's one of him and at least 60 students here.

I hear strong, confident footsteps coming down the hall, in walks Takashi Shirogane in his uniform to take over the class, the girls all shriek in unison, I hold my breathe, closing my eyes, happy to be in the company of a friend again. Matt shakes me, "I've been calling your name for 6 minutes what's up with you?" His question is a mixture of annoyed curiosity and friendly concern. I beam at him, "nothings wrong! Just.. " I look around for an excuse my eyes land on Takashi so I quickly look back at Matt, "hungry.." he digs through his bag and pulls out a lasagna in a plastic container, and a plastic fork he explains how it's mum's secret recipe and how he knows it's stereotypical for an Italian to have lasagna on hand but his mum made two pots of extras for me and for his second helping so- whilst he's still talking I've finished the whole thing, I grab the water from his bag and start drinking from it, "Hey! Comfortable aren't we?" He teases, I put my legs over his; giggling. "But Mattyyyy the girls melted my water bottle." "You can't just call me Matty and get away with it I'm a man now" he responds quick as lightning. "Oh? What're you suggesting, Holt? I treat you like a man?" I say with a devious smirk. "PRECISELY!" He says his hand on my shoulder, I take my legs off of his and gasp as if I was shocked that he was touching me "M-Matt-" when everyone turned to look at me it made me blush further making me seem like a sweet girl getting hit on by a guy, "I-I" Takashi walks over, "Mr Holt get rejected outside of the classroom" "OKAY FIRST OF ALL- IM NOT CONFESSING SECOND OF ALL WHY WOULD I BE BEING REJECTED?! IF SHE WASN'T HIDEOUS AND GROSS AND LIKE A DUDE TO ME WE'D BE A GREAT COUPLE!!" Matt yelled back without thinking, he's sensitive about his ego. "Well, because she's the pretty girl I've heard all the guys are trying to get with, and she's also the same girl who told me in person that she believed love happens over time and so she rejects pretty much everyone." Takashi jumped in. "I'm not in love with her but IF I was we'd have more then enough history, we've known each other since she was 2." This seems to be becoming more of a testosterone proving death match rather than an argument about the present. I begin doing mine and Matt's work as he's sent out for misbehaving, I continue drinking from his water bottle.

I was lucky Matt had a sense of humour as when he walked in to see me still drinking from his bottle doing both of our work he sat down and laughed hysterically into my shoulder, I patted his head trying not to laugh as well, his laugher was muffled into me and he looked up, I noticed his glasses. "Hey doofus, didn't you JUST have laser eye surgery?" "Well yeah but I keep them on me in case I ever need to have a touching goodbye with my sister." He 'explained' actually making it more confusing but I decided not to ask questions. I had finished both our work with time left to spare so I raised me hand, as Matt and I were to be put on a mission soon we were allowed to go train when we finished our class work. Takashi simply nodded and we left, I quickly changed and so did Matt, I hated the fact my outfit was so tight as it showed off and even emphasised my body. Matt didn't seem to notice but he never really did, I loved that about him. After an hour Matt had to leave so I worked alone on agility and flexibility, my main strong suits, I run forward and leap twisting myself round and landing in splits, then I flatten myself down more, all to see how little space I can take up. I heard clapping from behind me and stood, turning to see who it was, flushed and out of breathe. Takashi. I do a joking bow as he walks into the training quarters. "Hi Takashi" "Hi, Y/N". I began to fiddle my medical supplies, practicing on myself. He stopped his fighting to see this, he walked over offering himself. I start by taking some of his blood, expertly enough. I then work on bandaging his shoulder area. I move behind him to do this, my breathe hits his neck a little, we laugh it off both equally nervous, I continue, my soft touch on his muscular body, it seemed like such a perfect moment, one which every girl would've killed for, I look at my hand work and smile. "Okay now just to remove it for you-" I go to loosen it when I feel his hand on mine, "don't- it's okay there, we can see how it holds up long-wear." I nod blushing slightly and look at him, I feel something in my stomach that I've never felt before. His eyes show he's feeling something too, I hold my breathe.

Matt runs over screaming my name, I look at him, "Matt?!" He grabs the hand I had on Takashi and starts dragging me, "YOU'RE LATE FOR THE FUCKING FINAL EXAM ARE YOU STUPID?!" He continues yelling at me, "That was Ephemeral" I whisper to Takashi as I'm dragged away. I see him grab a dictionary, looking. He laughs to himself.

Matt and I manage to make it in time, our desk are far away from each others, we begin our exams. The results are to be put up that same day. I was biting my nails in stress after we had finished when I heard from behind me, "Lasting for a very short time. Ephemeral." Takashi sits beside me, I nod to him. "Correct." He goes to say something when a boy walks over "Y-Y/N!" He yells to me, I look up at the boy from my class, his cheeks are redder than a cherry, "I've loved you since the first day I saw you, over this year I've grown to love you more and more. Please date me!" He says desperately. I sigh, "I'm sorry.. I just don't feel the same way as you. I hope we can be friends." "Friends?!" He yells grabbing my arm dragging me up "FRIENDS?! It took me so much courage to do that and you say FRIENDS!" He's physically shaking me, squeezing and bruising my wrist, Takashi is trying to calm the boy until.. Matt walks over with a cold glare, punching the guy right in the face, the boy is bleeding and let's go of me to hold his face, I fall into Takashi's arms. Matt pins the guy the wall by his neck, "It would be an honour and a privilege to be friends with her you useless scum. She's the best friend.. no.. the best girl.. tch- best WOMAN in the goddamn world. You don't deserve her." He says full of hatred and anger. Hate is instantaneous. My words play back in my mind, I quickly grab Matt before he can do anything else, "Matty.. please-" he lets go of the boy and walks away giving me a pat on the head. I begin tending to the boys injuries. I'm a medic. It's what I do. Takashi decides to cover for Matt to Iverson and nothing seems to change, but everything has. I step up towards yo board to see my grad. My heart beating a thousand beats per second. I read the paper my grade is....