Chapter 3

Teacher: What inspired you to write this essay?

Me: the bloody due date.

>>>>>>>>>>

Outside room W11, I found an old man wrapped in bandages and an ambulance had brought him here.

One of the nurses handed me a report document that said that the old man had called for help saying that he had been attacked by some creatures.

Upon reading the word 'creatures', I would have laughed myself to death if the situation was not so serious. He must have been attacked by some animal instead.

I first told one of the ambulance guys to bring the old man into the examining room.

After examining him, he seemed to have a lot of deep cuts and injuries. It made me think that maybe the animal was a lion or bear that attacked him. He was even lucky to have survived this long.

The worst injury was on his head, it meant he needed an operation which was really dangerous and expensive to do.

I then noticed none of his relatives had come, so I asked one of the receptionists "Were any of his relatives notified about this?"

The guy just shook his head at me causing me to mumble annoyedly, "Do I really need to do everything myself here?"

And where the bloody hell was Mike? it seemed he had abandoned me and disappeared after telling me about the old man. This was odd because Mike always made sure to be there trying to help out and please me.

Luckily as I entered the room, the old man woke up.

"Black hair, green eyes. Could it be you." were the first words the old man uttered upon staring at me with hopeful eyes.

I ignored his weird behavior thinking it must be the medicine getting to him. Plus maybe I reminded him of someone.

"Here search for Jake, my grandson's phone number. Call him." the old man eagerly said after I asked him if there was anyone he wanted me to call before the surgery.

He then fell into unconsciousness.

I searched in the old man's phone until I found the name Jake and I quickly called the guy. The phone rang for 5 seconds before he answered his phone.

"Hello." his deep voice answered softly making my heart skip a pulse.

A small voice whispered in my head "Who is this Jake guy and why is he effecting me just by his phone voice?" I quickly ignored that small voice thinking, "Oh its nothing."

I told Jake about his grandfather. I gave him all the details about where the hospital was and about the operation. He agreed I should do the operation and said he was coming over there as soon as possible.

His last words on the phone made me feel sorry for him as he uttered,

"Please make sure he makes it and I promise to forever be grateful." in a pleading and desperate tone.

I quickly ran and changed into my operating clothes then I called my operating team and we got started in room W11. It took us 6 hours to finally finish the surgery.

My palms were already sweating and my stomach was now rumbling, screaming for food since I did not eat anything since morning. That's what I get for being a surgeon but I loved my job anyways.

I went outside ready to tell Jake of the old man whether he made it or not. But when I went to meet him I was surprised by what I saw.

There was a whole crowd of people all waiting to hear about the old man. Wow I thought to myself, this old man was really lucky to have so many family members who loved him; at least he would not die alone like me.