Chapter 2: Warmth (/)

Chapter 2: Warmth

"Are you certain?" the lady said, completing the healing kido. When there was no reply, she glanced at the white-haired captain with a frown. "Its better that she rests in my barracks."

"Yes. I mean, I want her to remain here."

"But it would be foolish to not bring her to the Fourth Division barracks, Captain Ukitake," she replied, hesitating. Captain Unohana smiled sweetly, adding, "With her current unstable condition, she requires immediate medical attention if she have yet another seizure. I assure you that she will be in good hands. My good hands."

"I appreciate your concern, Captain Unohana," he muttered, adding a little force. "But I will take it from here. Thank you for your kind assistance. I shall inform you when she wakes or if there are any changes." The lady hummed in response, stood up and left.

Captain Ukitake sighed heavily, his eyes staring down at his white captain haori. It was now stained with blood.

The child's blood.

He shut his eyes as he recalled the events of the day, from the release of her immense spiritual pressure and the way it spiked to himself catching her almost-lifeless body using flashsteps.

Right after he caught the child, the bearded man had took the opportunity and swung his knife at him, before he had a chance to unsheathe his blade. But thankfully one of  his officers blocked the blow with their sword and handle the situation as he rushed back to the Sereitei.

"Ukitake?" Captain Unohana called out, snapping him from his reverie. He turned to look at her as she stood by the door frame. The look on her face was of concern, as a friend.

He managed a smile and said, "Oh, I thought you left."

"I was about to but I was just wondering, Ukitake. Is there any reason as to why you are hiding her? The girl. Are you going to include what happened to her in your reports?"

"No, there's no reason. I believe the child just ran into some trouble when her parents aren't around, that's all. And she happened to run somewhere close to my division barracks so we lend a hand. I mean, there's no harm helping her."

"Yes," she replied, hesitant. "Certainly. But it raises suspicions, that's all."

"Captain Unohana, I understand how vigilant everyone is at times like this, ever since the Soul Society lost ten of its ranked officers, including some captains. But this girl is merely a child. If it calms you, I will return the girl to her parents after she recovers."

"Good."

~~~~~~~~~~○~~~~~~~~~~

Kanae woke up panting, her forehead glistened with cold sweat. She shut her eyes for a moment and opened it again, relief washing over her face that it was a dream. Or so it was, perhaps.

Her eyes widened as she glanced up at the unfamiliar sight of the white ceiling. Panic rising in her, she made a wrong move by sitting up. She flinched, pain shooting in the right side of her ribs. Her hands moved towards the hem her clothes - or rather someone else's - and gently lifted it a little to reveal bandages wrapped around her torso.

She frowned.

Kanae gripped the sides of the bed as she supported herself up, standing. The girl carefully took some steps towards the door, one hand on the wall for support as she walked to the door and slid it open, stepping out.

The hallways were deserted so her feet began moving at their own accord, heading towards a room with the words 'Thirteenth Division Training Compound'. She slid the door open to find it empty, no souls to be seen. Just when she was about to leave, she heard some raised voices resonating from behind another door in the room.