Chapter 4: Skills (/)

Chapter 4: Skills

"Excuse me," his friend asked. A girl with short brown hair stopped in her tracks to face them. "Is Captain Ukitake around?"

"Welcome, Lieutenant Izuru and Lieutenant Hisagi," Kiyone said, bowing. "The captain is currently running a quick errand with Captain Kyouraku. However, he mentioned that he will return soon."

"Thank you," Shuhei replied.

"Oh, Lieutenant Shuhei?"

"Hm?"

"There's someone waiting for you back in the training barracks," the third seat officer muttered, pointing them to the room across the hallway. The dark-haired boy widened his eyes and turned to look the way she was pointing with suprise.

"Someone?"

When they both turned around, she was gone like she never existed.

"Eh, she's creepy."

"I agree," Kira Izuru replied, throwing an arm over his friend as he led them towards the training barracks. "I didn't know you have a friend. I mean, other than me, of course."

"I don't know either," Shuhei said, shrugging. "I don't recall being a people person before."

"Hm, I guess the guy just liked you a lot to remain friends with you."

"Its great to know that you like me, Izuru," Shuhei said, pushing his friend's arm off himself. "Hopefully, you don't like me enough to harbor feelings for me. I mean, I am not against it, but you're just not my type."

"Your type?" Izuru said, raising an eyebrow. "And what exactly is my type like?"

"One word," Shuhei Hisagi said, raising a finger. "Stupid."

"You bast-" the blonde raise a fist to punch his arm, only to miss him by a few centimetres.

"Now, now. I don't think Captain Ukitake would appreciate it if you used that sort of language here," he said, grinning. They stopped before a door with the words 'Thirteenth Division Training Compound' written boldly on it and pushed it open, stepping in.

Much to their suprise, it was empty.

There were literally no souls to be seen.

And that was until..

"Shuhei, catch!" someone said.

He spun around and caught the bamboo cane thrown at him. Before he had a chance to protest, he saw the edge of a different cane swinging down to hit him. He blocked it with his, lifting it slightly to see his opponent grinning at him.

"Kanae?" he said, shocked.

The latter smirked and he almost didn't block the blow as her cane came swinging to hit him in the right. But it didn't stop there as she continued throwing attacks at him, occasionally taking defensive actions. She was much stronger and skilled than the last time he saw her, which was years ago.

Their canes clashed until she suddenly halted, planting the cane by her side. Kanae stared at him right in the eye as his labored breaths filled the awkward silence between them. For unknown reasons, she didn't seem to be exhausted considering the amount of strength they had used.

Neither knew what to say as they continued staring.

"You've grown," he said, eyes scanning her. She had not only grown in physical strength but also in terms of looks. Kanae Itsuki was beyond beautiful. The white velvet embroidered qipao that she wore suited her.

"What?" the girl replied, looking at him incredulously. "That's all you can say after twenty four years?"

Behind him, his friend bursted out laughing. Kanae lifted her cane and swiftly sweeped it across the ground. The edge of it caught his ankle and sent him toppling backwards. He landed with a loud thud and blinked his eyes open to find a cane pointed at his face. Her cane, specifically. Feeling defeated, he threw his cane to the side and raised his hands in surrender.