The Morning After

The sunshine of the next morning seeped through Valerie's black curtains into her bedroom. She slowly woke up, lifting up her head and batting the sleep out of her eyes. She sat up, stretching her arms above her head. Her eyes wander the room, noticing clothing items thrown about the room; her shirt, skirt, jacket, and red underwear set included in the jumble. She looks down, realizing she is completely naked. A small laugh leaves her lips as she puts her hands back behind her, leaning on them.

"Some night, huh?" She chuckled, then noticing the other presence in her bed. Lance seemed to still be asleep, covers pulled over his head. "Oh, sleepy head.." She says, stepping out of the bed and walking her way over to his side, "..it's time to wake up!" She continues, then slowly pulling back the covers to reveal him. She smiled at the sight.

His eyes were still the same green she remembered from their previous night, but his mouth lay open in a permanent shock. The sunlight glazed over his bare chest, which was now extremely pale and blue, except for a dark red pentagram that was now branded on his chest. Valerie touched Lance's cold face, brushing it with her hand. "I'm almost sad, you were so charming." She murmured to the corpse, then walking to her end table and picking up a cellphone. Her sharp, black nails quickly dial a number, then bringing the phone to her ear.

After a few rings, a voice with a heavy Irish accent rang out with a "Hello?". "Charlie? It's me. I got another one for you to take back to the Big Man, if you want to come pick it up." The digitized voice made a sharp whistle, "Damn, already? You really charmed him up quickly, eh?" He laughed. "Yeah, it wasn't hard to get his defenses down. He even fell for the 'tipsy girl' trick, such a sad sack of a guy." She said sassily, walking over to a tall window and looking over the landscape from her high apartment.

"Humans tend to be naive a lot of the time, huh? Was he at least good in bed?" He said, snickering. She scoffed, leaving the window and walking to her closet, throwing it open. "He wasn't the worst, but far from the best for sure. His soul was a bitch to get out of him, though, he held on tight." "He should have known better than to fight power like yours, huh? But, yeah, I'll be over in a second. See ya." He said, then hanging up the call.

She grabbed a dark purple slip dress, slipping it over her head and onto her bare skin. Suddenly, there was three knocks at the door. "Wow, that was quick." She said, slightly surprised. She opened the door, revealing a tall man with messy reddish-brown hair and a matching goatee. He had broad shoulders, covered by a thick, green, plaid flannel shirt. "Get here quick enough, you think?" She said, crossing her arms and looking up at him with a raised eyebrow. "The boss upgraded some things for me. Pretty convenient, huh?" He said, passing her and walking into the room.

Charlie meandered over to where the barkeep's body laid, touching the branding on his chest. "Brand is a little bit messy. His soul must have been fighting awful hard." He said, leaning closer to examine it. Valerie walked next to him, arms still crossed. "Yeah, I know the Big Man will give me hell for that but, I got him his guy. That's all that matters." She said with a sigh. "Just get him out of here."

Charlie scoffed. "Alright, alright. Bossy!" He hovered both hands over the man's corpse, then beginning to chant. His eyes began to glow a bright yellow color, the same light emitting from his hands. As he continued, the branding on the man's chest and his shocked eyes began to glow with a similar light. Charlie finished the incantation, then flipping his hands and beginning to slowly clench his fists. "And now, I condemn thy soulless presence into the deepest depths of this world, to be commanded by Lord Satan."

As he said this, the man's body began to crack, almost like crumbling marble, the bright yellow glowing through him. "Begone!" Charlie screamed, quickly closing his fists. The body became overwhelmed with light, to the point Valerie had to cover her eyes and look away. As the glowing calmed, she looked back to where the body was, seeing it was now completely gone with no trace. Charlie sighed, plopping himself onto the bed, rubbing his eyes. "Man, there has GOT to be an easier way to do that."

Valerie grabbed some purple slippers, gently putting them on her feet. "Don't get too comfortable, now we have to go do our follow up." Charlie groaned in distaste, then standing up and walking over to Valerie, grabbing her hand. "Let's go." He stated, doing another small chant, then both disappearing out of the room as the morning sun shined higher in the sky.