Chapter 6

Reid's POV

I got into bed with Sadie and she scooted closer to me.

"How are you feeling?" I asked her, kissing her forehead.

"Better. How was the movie?"

"I didn't finish it. I decided to come up here. Do you need anything?" She smiled.

"No, thank you."

"Oliver tried to get Dakota back. He ended up slapping him." Sadie laughed a little.

"That's what he gets." I nodded, agreeing. "Are you sure your Dad doesn't need you tonight?" I sighed.

"I can't always be so focused on him. Sometimes I need to worry about myself." She nodded and rubbed my side. Now, since she brought it up, I began to worry about him. I sighed and closed my eyes, trying to not think about it.

But I couldn't stop.

Soon, Sadie fell asleep and I went out on the balcony. I sat down, looking up at the sky.

"What're you doing out here?" Dakota asked me, on the other balcony. I laughed and shook my head.

"What're you doing out here?" I asked him. He shrugged.

"I just wish things were different." I nodded.

"Tell me about it." He laughed and I walked back into the room. I left the room and went into his parent's room. I went outside and he jumped in surprise, almost falling off the balcony. I caught him, holding him close.

We were inches apart and I stared at him. Hmm, this doesn't feel bad.

"Why are you always saving me?" He asked me, quietly. I pulled away from him and put my hands in my pockets. He sighed and we both leaned on the rail.

"Maybe you should be more careful Dakota." I told him. He laughed and I shook my head.

"What do you wish could change?" Dakota asked me. I shrugged.

"A lot. But it isn't a perfect world."

"True. I wish you were an asshole and Oliver wasn't an asshole." I laughed and ruffled up his hair and he rolled his eyes. "I'm serious. I'm such a bad best friend."

"I don't think you're so bad." He didn't say anything. "I wish my father wasn't an alcoholic. I wish he didn't need me all the time." He looked at me surprised.

"I had no idea."

"No one does, except for Sadie. I keep it to myself. It's hard to be away from him tonight."

"Don't you stay with Sadie some nights?" I shook my head.

"No, I leave and go take care of him."

"That must be difficult Reid." I shrugged, it was. But by now, I was used to it. "No one else?" I knew what he meant and I shook my head.

"She died." He hugged me tightly and I laughed, hugging him back. It felt weird, hugging him. A good weird though. I almost felt that calm that I felt when I got in the water.

Because Dakota is a good, genuine person. He isn't perfect, and he embraces that, along with everyone else's imperfections. So, when he hugs me, I know it comes from his heart.

I sighed and he rubbed my back.

"You're a strong guy Reid. To think I always just thought you were a stupid, attractive asshole." I laughed and rolled my eyes.

"And I thought you were just an arrogant gay boy." He shrugged, laughing.

"Yeah, that's literally it." We both laughed and he sighed.