7. George's Arrival

A month had already passed. My mind was still troubled but I tried to remain as placid as I could. It was a slow process yet I was improving. Although I still didn't talk that much, but I had small interactions with others besides Erin and Winston. The nightmares were not as often as before which helped me sleep better.

The glade progressed as well. The gardens had a large variety of crops thanks to the extra supplies that came in with me when I got sent here. The builders and slicers had more tools which were newer and sturdier. The runners had more things to aid in whatever they were doing. The med-jacks had more than they could handle, and not to mention, a bunch of extra clothing as well.

Winston and I were feeding the animals when the siren of the box coming up, blared. I just stood and observed how everyone came sprinting towards the box, including Erin. The gladers didn't need extra supplies yet since last month's supplies weren't fully consumed.

"It's greenie time! Don't you wanna watch?" Winston shouted excitedly although I never understood what the fuss was about having a newcomer. I shook my head and continued feeding the chickens; clucking noisily as I absentmindedly tossed the feeds all over the coop.

It was the same routine. But it was now Alby who gave the greenie the tour and luckily he didn't pass out like me before. Part of me wished it was another girl that got sent up.

"Maya!" Alby called as soon as he arrived at the Blood house, the newbie beside him, looking lost and confused. His arms were buffed and his skin was a little lighter than Erin's.

"I want you to meet George," Alby introduced as he rested his hand on my shoulder, "This is Maya; came up last month and 2nd girl in the glade."

George didn't flinch and neither did I.

"Can you show him around the Homestead?" Alby requested.

"YOU show him around the, the homestead." I suddenly realized what I just said and covered my mouth.

"Maya..."

"No."

"It's your turn. That's tradition."

"Well I don't want to."

Alby narrowed his eyes on me, causing me to fidget my foot.

"Sorry. Uuum, George, eerm-" I motioned for the greenie to follow me while trying to avoid Alby's death glare.

~

"Well, this is where you'll be ummm, sleeping. Or you can nap here. It's yours. You decide."

Not only was I terrible at giving tours, but I also could not manage to tie his hammock properly.

"Has anyone tried climbing to the top?"

That was my first time hearing George speak. His deep voice matched his tall form which towered over my scrubby physique.

He walked towards me. "Those vines, they're tall enough aren't they?"

"Uuggh, Winston told me that one of the boys did. His head, uhhmm, his head exploded before he could reach the top."

"Then what about the box? Can't one of you sneak inside before it goes back down?"

"That won't really work." I answered direly. George took the hammock and tied it's ropes in place, seeing how helpless I was with knots, embarrassing myself infront of a newbie.

"How long are we supposed to live here?" He crossed his arms. "Why isn't anyone finding other ways to get out?"

"They are. We just need to wait."