34. The Shut Down

When Newt and I were finally reunited, he immediately wrapped me in a warm swaddle of his chest and arms. I didn't want it to end. It felt as if when I was in his arms, all the pain went away - mental and physical, especially the depressing pain. If I could only stay in his arms forever, safe from harm.

The others were convinced and joined Thomas; Teresa, Chuck, Minho, Newt, Frypan, Winston, Jack, Jeff, Clint, Mike and Jason but there were still others who chose to stay in the glade. I was glad my closest friends chose to leave. If only Erin was still alive.

(A/N: i know what ya'll thinking, "Didn't Clint die during the massacre?" Well not in my story!😜)

Newt's chin rested on top of my head, hugging me tighter. "It's alright. We're getting outta here." The words barely managed to break out as the sobs he was holding choked his voice.

"Gally what the hell?" Minho growled, "You told us she was dead. You think we're leaving without her?"

"She would've been if it wasn't for me."

Newt was about to fight him but I clasped his hand tightly. I just wanted to leave this hellhole. The sight of it makes me sick.

"Gally it's over. Just come with us." Thomas tried to convince him one last time.

"Good luck with the grievers." Gally replied bluntly before we finally decided to leave. Newt held my hand firmly as we entered the maze, leaving the glade, forever.

We ran until we finally reached the griever passage. Everyone was afraid, but there was no time for doubts and second thoughts of returning back to the glade.

Thomas was giving us instructions but I wasn't listening. I was silently calling for the surge. But just like what happened right before the four doors opened, the surge just disappeared. This was the exact moment I was dreading for; being out here in the maze but not knowing about our fate. I just couldn't figure out how my stupid ability decided to vanish coincidentally at times when I needed it most.

However, there was one thing I did confirm; someone else was controlling me.

"You take this Chuck." Minho handed him the key. "You and Maya, stay behind us."

"It's ok, just stick with me." Teresa spoke.

"Ready?" Thomas asked, "Let's go!"

(A/N: I'm not gonna be too detailed with this scene since it's going to be just similar to the movie.)

And everyone came charging. I finally let go of Newt's hand as we neared the griever. They stabbed it with their spears but it grabbed Mike and threw him off the edge. Yet I did not help fend off the creatures. I was distracted by my empty thoughts, still hoping that the surge would come back and help figure a way out of this damn maze. Teresa swung her blade and decapitated one of the griever's arms but knocked off the key from Chuck's grip.

Chuck shouted while he chased the key rolling off the edge. I quickly ran after him and grabbed his waist as he dangled at the edge, now facing more grievers that were ascending towards us.

"Pull me up! Pull me up!" He screamed.

"Heard you the first time!" I yelled as I struggled to pull his weight up. Teresa arrived and helped. "Got you Chuck!"

We dashed back near the door as more grievers emerged and chased us. Jason was one of the first to fight them off but he got outnumbered and was killed. I looked at him helplessly as he flung to the edge.

Why couldn't I foresee his death? That was the only one thing I could do.

Two more grievers emerged from the sides. I picked up Jason's spear and darted it to the creature's head. The other one advanced to a petrified Chuck. I cursed as I plunged the dull spear into its metalic body and it let out an ear piercing shriek. I repeatedly buried the spear until the creature no longer moved. I was panting heavily, still shocked at what I've done.

The doors began to open as Chuck activated the key, leading us to the griever hole. The three of us ran as the rest continued to fight off the grievers.

"Thomas!" Teresa yelled, "There's a code; 8 numbers."

Thomas called for Minho, asking him about the sequence of the sections of the maze. Before Minho could answer I felt a sudden zap on my brain--the surge was back.

I sensed a silhouette plummeting down and once I looked up, I saw a griever above Minho. Without second thoughts I sprinted to where he was and tackled him to the ground. The griever missed and landed beside us. I rolled off him and quickly got up.

"Maya watch out!"

Before I could look up to whose voice it was, the same griever grabbed my leg and hoisted me higher, twisting my ankle before slamming me hard on the ground.

I laid motionless as the impact on my head caused my vision to become blurry. I could feel blood dripping from my temple, hearing disembodied voices calling for my name. I closed my eyes for a second then tried to stay awake.

Now's not a good time to pass out Maya. You need to stop being a burden and get up. I encouraged myself.

When the surge was finally present, my body just decided to go limp during the most inconvenient time.

I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder and pull me up. Newt was struggling as he tried to carry me. He was worn out from all the fighting and he had a limp, so an addition to his weight would bring him down. I couldn't walk since I twisted my ankle, groaning in pain everytime I took a step.

"Come on. Stay with me." Newt grunted as he assisted me to walk. But I was weighing him down. He struggled to get a firm grip as I kept slipping off.

"Newt," I whispered in between gasps, "Just leave me."

"Bloody hell, I'm not doing that!"

We both stumbled to the ground. More blood trickled down my forehead, blocking my vision and clogging my airway. I began to panic as Newt tried to lift me up again. I couldn't see clearly but I recognized another griever approaching us.

"Please. Just go."

"Maya, shut up!"

Winston luckily rushed to our side. "I got her man." He lifted me carefully on his back.

"Thanks Winston." Newt croaked. Winston carried me on his back as the griever hole was now opened.

"Thomas," I tried calling for him, my voice barely a whisper, but he didn't hear me, "Thomas, w-w-watch out...for Chu-"

I gave up.

I was gasping for breath but my body just flopped. I didn't want to shut my eyes but my eyelids were too heavy. Whoever was playing with my body was surely doing a damn good job at it. I was being shut down. The throw was not even that hard. Someone was forcing me to end up unconscious. Maybe because I knew too much. I now stopped struggling. And finally, allowed the darkness to envelope me.