Falling For You | Fred Weasley

Hi there, all you lovely people! I apologize profusely for the wait; this was just a very bizarre request for me! There were only two parts to it; that the reader be Harry's sister, and that there be a part of it in the Battle of Hogwarts; so I hope you enjoy what I did with it, Kelz! 

As you can already tell, this one is heavily AU. Italics are the flashbacks. Hope y'all enjoy!

Falling for You | Fred Weasley

~*~

There was no way to prepare for the reality that the place you knew as home, through all the ups and downs, was about to come under heavy fire.

I was trying my hardest not to think about it as I helped evacuate the younger students. This was it, this was the moment that the past 17 years had been leading up to, since before I was even born. The battle was coming to Hogwarts, and something deep inside me told me that it was going to end right here. Whether our side would be the one to end it, I could only hope, but one way or another, everything was coming to a head tonight. I could taste it in the air.

"How are you holding up?"

I turned at the low mutter, sending my older brother a wan smile. Instead of immediately answering, I ushered the last few students through Aberforth's tunnel, before throwing my arms around his neck and burrowing close to him. Harry understood, just like he always did, and hugged me fiercely to his chest, his grip only tightening as I begun to tremble.

"I'm so glad you're okay," I rasped, my voice uneven with the force of my mixed emotions. "I was so scared for you."

He hushed me softly, oddly reminiscent of when we were children and I'd had a nightmare. "It's okay, I'm okay, little one," he murmured, and I was so glad to see him that I even let the annoying nickname slide. Not that he would've stopped using it, Merlin knows he hadn't stopped at any point in the past sixteen years. We stayed in that position a little while, until I'd stopped trembling, and when next he spoke, Harry's voice was straining even as he tried to keep it light. "Ginny tells me that my Hero Complex seems to have extended to you."

"Ah..." I flinched, knowing my brother would've found out about my actions sooner or later. "What can I say, Potter blood runs strong in me," I tried to joke, but it fell flat when Harry pulled away, anxious green eyes scanning over me as if he could catalogue every scar that wasn't there a year ago. "They were just children, Haz," I whispered, my voice pleading with him to see reason. "I couldn't let them get hurt, I couldn't let them get tortured."

Harry shook his head vehemently, trying not to acknowledge the sense in my words. "I didn't take you with me because I wanted you to be safe!"

"A truly daft idea, I think we can both agree," I cut in mildly, sending him a sharp look that told him I still hadn't forgiven him for leaving me behind. We'd faced everything together, since my first year, and I had been distraught when I'd realized that my idiot big brother had left on the horcrux hunt without me. "But nevertheless, I could handle what those gits were dishing out. It was my job to protect the younger students."

Harry sucked in a breath through his teeth, obviously battling between pride and protectiveness. Though there was only a little over a year between us, Harry had always been incredibly protective of me; a consequence, perhaps, of our unfortunate childhood with the Dursleys. It had never seemed to matter to him that, in most ways, I was the stronger of the two of us. He was the big brother, and his job was to shield me, and that was that.

Bearing his logic in mind, I sighed lightly, hugging him again. "It wasn't so bad." It was worse.

"Liar," Harry refuted immediately, as if he could hear my thoughts. Then in his next breath, he sighed, seeming to let go of whatever ill-feeling he'd had. "I don't feel like fighting with you. I haven't seen you since the night of Bill's wedding."