Chapter 16: Zero Hour

The Fall

Zoe had been living a secretive life on Caprica for forty years. According to her credentials, she was now almost sixty. Zoe was working with the Colonial Ministry of Defense on coding a new piece of defense software called the CNP. Zoe had decided the best thing she could do was work in a field that would help stop another Cylon war. The work was difficult but not because of the coding, which was rudimentary next to Zoe's talents. The main problem was her supervisor.

She was working under an arrogant man named Gaius Baltar. Zoe didn't trust the man as far as she could throw him, which was considerably less now than when she was a robot. Gaius didn't appreciate the work of anyone other than himself and on top of that, Zoe was fairly sure, his accent was fake.

Zoe was working late one night when Gaius came sneaking in after hours. There had been rumours of him having a romantic affair with someone but Zoe didn't know any details. She listened carefully as the two came in whispering in hushed tones.

"Okay. I told you I could get you in to the defense mainframe," Gaius said, "just hurry up and get the information you need for your employers."

"I need your authorization codes," Zoe heard the woman accompanying him say.

"Alright, but hurry this up, we aren't supposed to be here," Gaius said, "my authorization codes are..." Zoe decided now would be a good time to come out of hiding.

"Your authorization codes are what?" Zoe asked.

"None of her concern," Gaius said giving Zoe a reassuring smile, "what are you doing here so late Miss...?"

"Silverrock," Zoe said, "I always stay in late, it's a habit of mine. The real question is, what are you doing here? I never see you around at these late hours."

"Yes, well, I'm always trying to do my part for Colonial society," Gaius said, "the Cylons don't sleep, why should I?"

"Who's your...?" Zoe began but was shocked when she saw the face of Gaius' companion. Zoe instantly recognized the tall blond woman that was based on her. The Number Six standing before Zoe obviously had not recognized her. But then, why should she?

"Just a friend," Gaius tried to assure Zoe.

"A friend with security clearance I hope," Zoe said after finally coming to her senses. At this the reassuring smile that Gaius was giving her dropped.

"Look Miss Silverrock, how many Cubits do you need for this to go away?"

"It's not about the Cubits Dr. Baltar, its about keeping the Twelve Colonies safe from any future attacks by the Cylons."

"Come on. You must need the money to pad your pension."

"I can't be bought out Baltar."

"It can't just be the Cylons. I mean, do you really believe they’re are going to try that again? We beat them, they flew off with their cybernetic tails between their legs, end of line."

"Actually," Zoe said looking at the Number Six in front of her, "I think a Cylon attack may be closer than you would think." Zoe turned and walked away.

"You'd better watch yourself!" Zoe heard Gaius yell behind her, "this isn't over! If you say anything, my lawyers will make you wish you had accepted my Cubits!"

"I'm sure you'll try," Zoe said, "but I'll be sure they have you shot for treason first."

Zoe left the building. She drove back to her home in Delphi. That night, however, Zoe couldn't get any sleep. All she could think about was the woman that Gaius had betrayed the human race to.