Turn Around Little Fey

Dear Valued Readers,

I hope you enjoy this revamped version of myself as a writer and the first  story I've ever made public, Bright Knight Goddess. Leave a comment and a like. Let me know what you think of the cover. Can you believe my husband sat down and designed it for me?

Lucas enters the dimly lit alcove at Snug Corner. Immediately his senses are assaulted by flowery décor. Hmmm. Love is in the air, he thinks with a shudder. To each his own.

His family should already be seated. Arlington Bright would not be happy that he'd skipped out on the ceremony, but a third cousin's wedding is not on his list of priorities and certainly not today, his twenty-third birthday. Not that he celebrates birthdays either.

He looks around and just manages to keep his features from revealing the disdain he harbours for occasions such as these. Though, his lips still shift just slightly upward with it. After a swift survey of his surroundings, he supposes that he can, at least, appreciate the aesthetics of the place. His third cousin had chosen a fine establishment to host her wedding reception. No doubt a good many people with money to throw around would choose a venue such as this - Isolated and private - but for Lucas, it's the dark corners and hidden spots that strike his fancy. Perfect for the things to keep a man like him from dying of boredom.

A hand sticks up from somewhere near the front of the room, catching his attention. Lucas stifles a groan. That's just fabulous. They're third cousins, for chrissake. Why had Connie bestowed them with a seat of such honor? He really would have preferred if their table had been stuck behind a pillar or stuffed in a hole somewhere far, far to the back of the room.

While winding his way over to their table, he shakes his head ruefully as his father's disappointed, accusatory glare slices through him.

"You're late, Lucas, exceptionally so." Still, his father rises to embrace him in a fond hug. "Happy birthday my boy," he says patting Lucas soundly on the back.

"Thanks, Dad," Lucas mumbles. Generally, he doesn't mind his father's spontaneous displays of affection. It's just that he can feel an entire room full of eyes staring.

Once his father releases him, Lucas goes around the table to place a kiss on his stepmother's brown cheek while wondering what the consensus would be if they knew the reason for his tardiness.

"Happy Birthday, Lucas," Shanice offers warmly and pats his hand while he pulls out his chair.

His father's wife is a lovely lady, pleasant and motherly, but he already has a mother. Albeit not the best, but a mother nonetheless. "Thank you, Shanice," he responds with perfunctory appreciation.

His siblings are gathered as well, all three of them, waiting for him to sit before they take their turns to wish him a happy birthday - never mind that the day is almost over.

And so it begins. Presents that he did not need nor want, wrapped handsomely in dark decorative gift paper, suddenly appear and he has to harden his heart. This really isn't something he wishes to celebrate. Thankfully, they do not add to his discomfort by making a grand show of it. Surreptitious in their presentation, they slide their small and pretty packages across the tablecloth so he has a small pile in front of him. He won't spurn their generosity and thoughtfulness but he doesn't have to like it either.

"Couldn't this have waited?" he mutters.

"Waited until when, exactly?" his father asks. "We hardly see you. I don't even know where you live for God's Sake. I feel like I have to make an appointment to see my own son. I'm surprised you bothered to show your face here at all. And I hope that you plan to remain for the whole..." Arlington makes a grand show of sliding his jacket sleeve back to peer down at the watch on his wrist. "However long this thing will last," he finishes.