Chapter 1

It started on the day I was born. A mother filled with desicated lonlieness; desperate in times of sadness, so she leaves. Gone. Leaving no trace of her behind. Only an unlucky spawn, left unnurtured on the doorstep of a common orphanage. 

Any orphan boy, or girl at that, is lucky to have strangers watching them every so often, deciding if they are worthy of their ownership. Scrutinizing you. While no one truly knows you, knows your story, or anything that really matters- your substance. They see the outside and the character you portray to them. Orphans; they have an era of mystery. They know of themselves and nobody knows of them.

So when an orphan boy, such as I, was chosen by a willing, infertile, and doubly unknowing couple to be brought into the safe keeping of their home, it was absolute great news to know that I would be disappointing yet another hospitable family.

Sheepishly the woman, of about mid- twenties named Sandra, greeted me fondly as I stepped through the threshold of my new house, "So, Russel, um," She paused clearing her throat, "I'll show you up to your room. It's upstairs."

I nodded. The house was homely, decorated so that I was forced to feel like this was a home, and not just a house. It smelled of happiness and cinnamon, which was definitely an improvement from the last house I was placed in.

I looked at my new father, and managed a half grin as the three of us trekked the stairs together. He smiled a toothy grin in my direction. I knew I was only 9, but I wasn't much into sap- I turned away in distaste.

I turned my head away in disgust. I wasn't ready for any cheesing. I just wanted to adjust to this house before I was rejected back out onto the streets again.

We stepped into my new room. It was bare of personality, only filled with basic furniture. The window had long, translucent black curtains hung in front of them. They were kind of scarily dreary. I quite loved it.

"Well, we'll leave you to unpack." Said Andrew, my new dad. They closed the door behind them, leaving me with my solitary bag and only the silence to keep me company.

I peeked behind the curtain and looked outside. It was summer, my favorite season. Down below I could see a middle aged woman taking a walk with her daughter, who looked about my age.

I turned my attention from them to the hinges of the window. I unlatched them, using my stealth to lift the heavy pane. I could see that right by the window, outside, the roof of the garage was within arms length of the window.

I knew if I were to get caught, I'd be in a lot of trouble. Nimbly, I managed to get myself on top of the roof. This, I deemed, would be my new thinking spot. 

People may wonder why I felt like I was going to disappoint everyone I was placed with. It wasn't only a firmly planted idea. It was an undeniable, indescribable thing. But it was a fact of science. I always screwed up. 

Once I lasted in a home for nearly 6 days. We went to the doctor for a checkup. My new parents would find out about my secret. They would gag reflexively, and by the next day I was right back at Solomen's Orphan house. That's pretty much how it went. I was defined by my biological difference.

While I thought of the many homes I was housed in, I kept hearing an indistinct clatter on the roof. I figured they were working in the garage below.

"Hey!" Said an obnoxious voice from below. The constant clatter were pebbles landing near me, thrown from down below.

I twisted my head down at her.

It was the same girl that was walking with her mom. "Hi." I said feverishly as I stared at her.

"Whatcha doin?!" she shouted, "Can I join you up there?" Without any further preamble, she climbed the ivy covered latter, that I was unaware of, to my spot.

Before she landed on the safety of the flat roof landing she beamed up at me and smiled. Her eyes interlocking with my damper orphan eyes as she completed the journey. Lost in the greenery of her forest eyes, she said softly, "I'm Izabella Faulkner Rhodes. But you can call me Faulkner."

I smiled; the first real one I've displayed in a while. 

"I'm Russel Roberts," I said scruffily, "I'm new here."

She smiled, and I noticed the many gaps in her mouth from recently lost teeth. "Great!" she exclaimed. "We're gonna have lot's of adventures,  you and me." She said matter-of-factly.

 __________________________________________

Author's note: I hope everyone enjoyed. It's quite short... but I will upload to this story when I can. I don't want to give up on this story like I sometimes do. So what do you think is wrong with Russel? hmmm... you'll have to wait to seeee

Love,

me.