Chapter 4

Drowsily, I threw my backpack onto the couch. Finally, thank the god almighty, I was finally home! I don't know why I was so darn tired, but now would be a good time for a cup of Joe. 

As I sat down, I profusely skipped through the channels on the tv guide. Something good would have to be on. I mean come on, can't a guy with a bad day just have a decent channel to watch?

It wasn't that today was necessarily bad. Some people get their heads dunked in the toilet bi-daily, and others are scrawny enough to be jammed in the lockers, which they do. But today, just like every day, was boring. All I had to do was think of Faulkner and pretend to work in school. What kind of life is that?

I know, I know. I sound like a little brat. I don't need anyone mentioning the fact that there are dying children in Africa, or that half the world is experiencing world hunger. But what can you do? I'm a guy in love.

I finally decided on watching America's Next Top Model; Cycle 5. No matter how much my sexuality was questioned, I would always be a fan. What's not to love about models? 

Boredom surpassed me. There were only 5 contestants left. I could literally feel the dribble-drabble of my drool leaking out of the edges of my mouth. I wonder what Faulkner would say if she saw how bored I was. Not the new found 18 year old one, but the 9 year old Faulkner. The one I fell in love with. I imagined it to go somewhat like: Come on now. Whats with the sitting on the couch? Get up and do something. There's always a new part of the world for you to discover. 

Yup, that sounded like her.

I decided instead of throwing a pity party for myself, again, I'd get up and eat dinner. Granted, it was 4:30, but it wasn't like I had anyone to wait for. Both of my parents were full-time doctors that worked until the late hours.

I could probably throw the worlds biggest party from the time school got out until 8 or 9 and still be able to clean it up. They'd never know. But to throw a party, you'd have to have friends, and friends that have friends. As I'd mentioned earlier, I had a scant amount of those. 

Suddenly, as I was heating up my ramen noodles I heard the phone ring. My heart skipped a beat, as it did every time the phone rang. Could it be her? I picked up the old fashion spin-dial house phone and answered.

"Hello, Roberts residency. Who am I speaking to?"

I heard slight wheezing and gurgling from the other line, "Hey Russ." Great. It was Ben.

"What do you want Ben?" I said frustratingly.

"What? Disappointed? Yeah I'm not Izzy, or Faulkner, or whatever it is you call her. But I am your best friend." He said annoyingly. He was so stern. It made me mad.

"Yeah, yeah." I said, attempting a defusing of this oncoming fire.

"Well anyways, I just wanted to say you were right about the balloons. It is pretty lame, I guess." Ben wheezed disappointingly.

"Oh yeah. So, you called me just for that?" I said eying the boiling noodles on the stove.

"I guess. I mean, I'm pretty bored. What have you been up to the past hour?"

I sighed, "I don't know. Nothing. But hey, I got to go. The noodles are about to be an atomic mess."

"Sweet! Well bye!" He said a little too eager. 

I hung up the phone. A little peeved at Ben's earlier comments, but I couldn't afford to lose my best friend. No matter how much he loves Call of Duty and atomic science.

I stirred the packet of season in the now-ready noodles. Papa's eating good tonight! Excitedly I took a big bite of the 500 calorie death. Mother of god, if Faulkner weren't alive, I'd have fallen for the person that invented ramen. Although they're probably 6 feet under the grave by now.

The phone rang again. Great.

"Look Ben-"

"Hey." Said a shaky female voice, "It's Izzy."

I felt all of my body heat flush to my face, and I felt slighlty woozy. I coughed, "Um, Faulkner?"

"Oh yeah. I guess." 

There was silence on both ends. 

"So, what's on the down low Faulkner?" OH GOD, Why am I such an idiot?! Who says 'Down low' anymore. I'm a disgrace to society.

She was probably frightened by how much of a freak I was. "Uhhh, nothing I guess." She paused, "Okay look, I don't know why I called. But I just felt that it's been about time I talked to you about what happened."

I blinked. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you know. I quit talking to you." She said timidly.

"Oh."

"Yeah." She replied.

"Well, you could come over. You know where it is." I said with more confidence now. What exactly was I getting myself into...? 

"Alright then. I guess I'll see you soon, Russ."

"Okay, sounds good."

She hung up without further ado. 

I smiled contently. And then it only now hit me what was happening, She was coming. Here. Now. I ran to the bathroom and upchucked the one bite of noodles I had, and I could also see my lunch in there. Bulimic girls were probably jealous.

After vigorously brushing my teeth, I was ready.

At least, I thought.