Chapter 3. INSPECTOR CLARK

RILEY FELT A slight vibration that made his Perfectly formed and complete upper set of twelve identical teeth vibrate with his complete identical, though upside down, lower set. The vibration slowly died away, but Riley somehow knew that the Testing Cap was active.

"Right," said Inspector Clark giving the tablet a sharp decisive tap. "Testing Cap properly activated." He looked up at Riley, his lip-smacking copper coloured eyes conveying a hungry look. Although all citizens look alike physically, it is the manner of their expressions that easily differentiate them.

"An easy examinable question to begin with," said Inspector Clark, looking intently at his tablet display. "Just to test and calibrate the Testing Cap. What does a citizen mean by the word Perfect?"

Riley knew what Perfect meant, everyone knew what Perfect meant. This was the Perfect Age, after all. But how on earth does he put his answer into words?

"Well, let me see now... Ah, well, something is Perfect if it's the best way a thing can be. Something that makes life its most comfortable, enjoyable and, er, fulfilling." Riley was happy with his answer.

"Tut, tut, tut. Deary, deary me," sighed Inspector Clark. He shook his head derisively. He shouted crossly, "Don't you even recall your HEP definitions of the Perfect Age, from your schooldays?"

Riley tried hard to remember his Perfect Age lessons, but he was never a great one with words, and his memory for such things was at best mediocre. He remained silent, only managing a pitiful shrug of ignorance.

Inspector Clark gave the standard correct answer, pounding his fist on the desktop with every word...

"Perfect: A state of being or doing that is exactly as nature intends for humans to be or do for the optimal chances of their survival (according to and endorsed by the HEP)."

"Ah yes, that's right," agreed Riley meekly, recalling his Perfect Age Citizenship lessons, he hadn't expected to be tested on such lessons as an adult.

"Yes, you bet that's right," said an angry Inspector Clark. "Let me see now." He fiddled about with his tablet. "Yes, the Testing Cap is now Perfectly calibrated and more obtuse questions can be asked and your even more obtuse answers can be examined, analysed, assessed, indexed and numbered."

Riley knew that the questions coming his way would be designed to trick him into giving up information that would expose his guilt of unacceptable unPerfect behaviour.

"So what is meant by unPerfect?" asked Inspector Clark.

"UnPerfect: A state of being or doing that is not as exactly as nature intends for humans to be or do for the optimal chances of their survival but which is not necessarily illegal or ultimately harmful to survival (according to and endorsed by the HEP)." Riley knew he had nailed that answer and he heaved a breath of relief and felt a swell of pride.

"And what constitutes a visit to a Remote Correction Asylum?"

"An unacceptable degree or regularity of unPerfect actions." Riley wasn't so sure of this answer, but he was confident it was more or less correct.

"Hmmm..." mused Inspector Clark stroking his chin glaring intently at his tablet display. "Interesting."

Riley wondered if he had made a mistake...

"What constitutes an illegal act?" asked Inspector Clark.

This was a harder question to answer, but at least the test was continuing.

Riley thought for a moment before answering...

"I would say an illegal act is simply any action by a citizen that breaks the Perfect Laws of Citizenship, laws which are designed for the Perfection of Humankind." Riley knew he had given something of an answer, but surely, it was a poor effort.