The Department of Mysteries

December 24, 1973

EUGENIA: Ah, Minerva.

MINERVA: Minister. I came as soon as I received your Patronus.

In the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic, MINERVA converses quietly with the Minister of Magic, EUGENIA JENKINS.

EUGENIA: I wish we were meeting this Christmas under more celebratory circumstances, Professor-

MINERVA: Regardless, ma'am. What is the situation?

EUGENIA: We've had a break-in at one of the lower levels. Someone infiltrated a secure location, but escaped not long after.

MINERVA: Which department?

The fire in one of the hearths surrounding the Atrium lights, and ALBUS steps forward, having traveled by Floo Powder.

EUGENIA: Headmaster. Thank goodness you're here.

ALBUS: Good evening, Minister.

MINERVA: There's been a break-in, Albus-

ALBUS: I have most recently become aware of the Ministry's latest infiltration, my dear Minerva. But I must analyze the crime scene before I can make any just conclusions. Minister, if you would, please, accompany us to the department entrance.

EUGENIA: Of course.

The three begin walking down the Atrium's cold floors.

MINERVA: Which department was it?

EUGENIA: The Department of Mysteries. A most questionable place for a break-in.

ALBUS: (contemplatively) Most questionable, indeed.

They arrive in a wide, dark, and cold corridor. Turning left, they arrive at the entrance to the Department of Mysteries: a circular, black door, which is now closed. Towards the end of the hallway are several Aurors huddled around a small figure.

ALBUS: (approaching the door and running his hands on its outer surface) Are there any details you can disclose to us, Minister?

EUGENIA: You know all that I do, Headmaster. An unknown party entered the Department and proceeded through its depths, but was soon apprehended by several Unspeakables.

MINERVA: Through its depths- ?

ALBUS: Who were the Unspeakables on guard?

EUGENIA: Bode and Croaker. But neither of them got a decent look at the intruder.

MINERVA: Unspeakables- ?

ALBUS: Which chamber was this party headed towards, Minister?

EUGENIA: They vanished in the Time Room, but we have reason to believe that their final destination was the Hall of Prophecy.

MINERVA: Hall of Prophecy- ?

ALBUS: Minerva, I promise to explain all of this to you in good time. Minister, were there no other witnesses to this crime?

EUGENIA: Well, there was one more. (She points to where the Aurors are gathered around a small figure). A child. The son of my Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, actually. He was waiting for his father in the Atrium when he saw the figure arrive through Floo Powder.

ALBUS walks over to the Aurors and bends down on one knee to come face to face with the child. He magically produces a cotton blanket and wraps it around the child's shoulders, smiling.

ALBUS: Good evening, son. Do you know who I am?

The boy shakes his head, shivering and afraid. One of the guards steps forward and puts his hand on ALBUS' shoulder.

BARTY SR.: My boy's been through a turmoil, here, Albus. He needs to come home.

ALBUS: Just a moment more, Mr. Crouch. (He turns to the boy) My name is Albus Dumbledore. And who might you be?

BARTY JR.: (quietly) B-Barty C-Crouch, Junior.

ALBUS: Well, Barty, I hear that you witnessed what happened here tonight, and that you were very brave. Can you be courageous enough to recount to me what happened exactly?

BARTY JR.: I s-saw him come through the f-fireplace and run across the h-hall-

ALBUS: Are you quite sure it was a man, Barty?

BARTY JR.: I think s-so.

BARTY SR.: That's enough, now. He's a ten-year-old child, Albus. (He picks up his son and leads him out of the hall) Let's get you home, son.

ALBUS watches the father and son leave the hall, while MINERVA walks to his side.

MINERVA: Does any of this make sense to you, Albus?

ALBUS: Very little of it. (He turns around to face the circular door) Who was the intruder, who was he working for, and for what purpose did he need access to this Department?

MINERVA: Albus, what on earth is the Department of Mysteries?

ALBUS: (simply) It is a very secret department dedicated to studying that which has most intrigued humankind since the dawn of time.

MINERVA: And you don't think it's- curious that someone was trying to break in to this place, of all places, on Christmas Eve?

ALBUS: Oh, there are more than a few curious things regarding the Department of Mysteries, Minerva, dear.

MINERVA: Headmaster, it would be foolish to assume that whoever intruder this was wasn't working on the orders of You-Know-Who-

ALBUS: I have no doubt that this was the work of a Death Eater, Minerva. And it is for that reason why we need eyes on this Department in the near future. The Minister mentioned Bode, I believe he's a colleague of Arthur's. Get in touch with him, and have him monitor this entrance heavily.

MINERVA: Yes, sir. And the Minister, you don't think we should-?

ALBUS: I have already spoken to the Minister on these matters, Minerva, but I am afraid she is not yet ready to accept the measures I have laid out for her. She is not as strong a leader as our community needs right now. But hopefully, she will see sense soon.

MINERVA: But what in Merlin's beard were they after, Albus? What could You-Know-Who possibly want in this forgotten, decrepit Department?

ALBUS: What indeed. (He runs his hand on the circular black door once again) The Hall of Prophecy... what would hold valuable to him in there, I wonder. Curious, curious...