Barriers and Beginnings

The platform of 9 3/4 installed in Kings Cross has proven to be one of the most daunting obstacle for the first years. Often, on the occasion that Esme Royelle arrived early on said platform, she would proceed to blend in with clusters of frantic muggles, in order to exercise her puerile delight in witnessing anxious 11-year-olds scamper off with their trollies in hand and their minds set, charging through this legendary barrier.

At the moment, she appeared amused, her slender frame leaned against a pillar, with her long luscious raven locks cascading down her sides and her emerald eyes gleaming with that concealed secrets. On this particular day, Esme dressed to the likes of a detective with her black trench coat over a crisp white blouse with the first few buttons undone, underneath she sported a pair of trousers, the rich staining color of blood, her outfit was completed with a pair of sleek black heeled boots and a permanent smirk on her enchanting face.

The smirk formed whilst observing an impish little girl with straight blond hair like straws of haw gleaming in the sun. The girl wore a modest red dress and a teasing grin, she had been taunting her skittish elder brother who dawned a mop of dirty blonde hair and flushed cheeks, for stalling his dash through the concealed platform.

As Esme chucked at the bickering children, she reminisced her first encounter with the brick wall and how she had strolled right through the platform with an air of indifference. Being the only daughter of Flint and Rose Royelle, Esme was trained from an early age to uphold a certain image, she was to be faultless and superior in every subject and circumstance, she must be untouchable, invincible, in other words...a Royelle. The Royelle's were treated as royalty amongst the wizarding world since they did descend from a royal and pure bloodline in France. The Royelle's were known for their impeccable record of Slytherin heirs, and their reputation of mastery over the dark arts.

Esme drifted back to reality when she abruptly came to realize the time, it was currently 10:47 am, only thirteen minutes till the Hogwarts Express departed from the station. This revelation caused Esme to swiftly pace towards the still bickering siblings.

"Hello, the name is Esme," she introduced herself dropping her last name as a habit and winking at the little girl.

Esme subsequently turned towards the little girl's brother, clearly a first year, "look, I understand your concerns regarding the dash into this brick barrier; however, if you don't gather the courage to ram through it in less than 10 minutes, you'll never get the chance to do so," she heeded, carefully selecting her words.

Esme's words of wisdom seem to have triggered something within the boy, for he presently faced the platform with a valiant expression, fiercely inhaled and with the following exhale, he charged with the determination of a bull and vanished beyond the platform along with his overflowing trolley. Leaving Esme with his bright-eyed sister, who now stared up at her with glowing adoration.

"Want to share your name and age, little lady?" Esme asked with a grin.

The girl's eyes twinkled with the innocent and pure luminescence only recognized in stars, "Sammy, it's short for Samantha, and I'm 10 years old."

Esme raises her eyebrows in an intrigued manner, "well, Samantha I await your presence in Hogwarts next year. Now, where are your parents?" she inquired.

"On the other side", Sammy replied eagerly.

"Well, then there is only one thing left to do", Esme motioned to her rather empty trolley, for she had requested that her belongings for the semester be sent directly to Hogwarts beforehand, it was more efficient.

Samantha quickly climbed into the trolley and together they swiftly rushed through the barrier. The pair were immediately bombarded with steam, the distinct smell of oil, two worrisome looking parents and their smirking son, presently oozing with confidence.

"Oh, Sammy! Darling, what took you so long?" her mother exclaimed.

"Sorry, mum," sulked Samantha, climbing out of the trolley.

"My apologies, Madam, it was never our intention to cause you any avertable concerns," Esme consoled.

"That's just fine dear," she smiled, her face was a saged beauty,  wrinkled with years worry and laughter, "I'm just grateful she's here, thank you," the mother expressed graciously, pausing with the silent expectancy of the young witch's identity.

Royelle swiftly caught on and revealed her first name with the air of a Royelle, pronouncing each syllable with eloquence, the way she had tirelessly practiced with her reflection in the mirror of her vanity in the earlier years of her youth.

"Esme."

"Thank you, Esme, for retrieving her," the kindly mother concluded.

"It was my pleasure," Esme expressed, "it was charming meeting you all; however, I must board the express, there remains 5 minutes till departure."

"Oh! Would you do the grand favor of bringing Luke along with you," the mother requested, motioning to the first year.

"Why the hell not?"

•• • •• • ••
•• •

Together Luke and Esme stowed their trunks and boarded the express. Luke delivered his final waves to his family, and eventually turned toward Esme expectantly.

"What now?" he asked.

"You make friends, and I go find mine," Esme bluntly revealed.

"You're going to leave me?" Luke questioned utterly lost.

"Do you genuinely want your first encounter with your mates to be with some Slytherin girl?"

Luke simply shrugs.

"Look, first years generally settle in the compartments down that corridor," She gestured to the right, "You've got this."

"Thanks," he replied, then shuffled off.

"Esme! Where in this miserable world have you been!" Andromeda Black, one of Esme's dearest friends, exclaims from across the aisle, her straight brunette locks gathered into an elegant high ponytail with a cream colored ribbon,  revealing her prominent dimples. The witch hurried down the aisle and engulfed Esme into a death-enticing hug, causing the poor witch to feel as though her soul were being squeezed out of her bodily form.

"I was just about to seek you out," Esme brightly grinned, ignoring the shriveled state of her lungs.

Andromeda released Esme from her death-hold, and took a glance at her dear friend's form, and subsequently sighed. "How can you look even more gorgeous in the span of only two months," she frowned jokingly.

"You know for a Slytherin, your lying is quite unimpressive," Esme teased.

Andromeda scoffed, "you know I wouldn't dare and attempt lying to you. You are like the human form of veritaserum for Merlin's sake!" she exclaimed. "Come on, Regulus and I did you the favor of finding an empty compartment," Andromeda stated.

"We have loads to discuss."

Greetings dear readers,
Although 'Dark Matter' is the first story I have ever published, its not the first story I have ever written...that's right, I started this chapter about two years ago but never had the guts to finish it or publish.
But with the encouragement of a new friend, my spark of an idea from 2 years ago has actually formed into something worthwhile.
Consequently, this chapter is dedicated to ForeverLilyEvans26 , thanks for making this a reality. ❤️