Scheming and Secrets

The following weeks for Esme were comprised of finely sifting through the library with Regulus in search of any books that could expand our limited knowledge on the forsaken subject of Horcruxes, and of course, scheming.

The scheming was inspired by Severus' recent proposal of performing an utterly brilliant prank that would undoubtably surpass all of the Marauders' previously primitive attempts.

Yet, Esme could not vouch that she was alone in organizing the intricacies of her plots. Andromeda and Regulus had eagerly consented into being her anonymous accomplices to the ordeal.

The Slytherin trio were currently discussing the loose ends of the splendid stunt they were soon to pull on their fellow student body while waiting for Professor McGonnagol to commence Transfiguration.

"If this is to work," Regulus contemplated, "the house elves must be involved."

"That can be arranged," Andromeda confirmed, "I know a bloke from the inside, he owes me a few favors," she vaguely revealed, illustrating the entire matter to seem much more illicit than it truly was.

"Then it's settled," Esme finalized, "I'll handle the potioneering, Regulus'll provide me with the ingredients and utensils I'll need which will unfortunately be a highly elaborate task, and finally Andromeda will simply add extra salt into the feast along with both potions into the goblets of water."

"Ingenious," Regulus admitted.

"Good Afternoon, fifth years," McGonnagol suddenly announced, theatrically entering through the classroom doors, her cloak theatrically spiraling behind her.

"Throughout the first semester we will be transfiguring ordinary furniture pieces into live animals," she dutifully explained.

Andromeda chuckled in response, "how ironic," she remarked referring to the task's correlation with the prank.

Within the first 10 minutes of class, Esme managed to transfigure a silver letter opener into a beautiful snake with dazzling scales. The creature harmlessly began to coil around Esme's wrist in affection.

"Aren't you a stunner," Esme praised her.

"Indeed, Ms. Royelle," Professor McGonagall acknowledged. "Attention class!" She announced, "Ms. Royelle's work here is a prime example of how to incorporate definition and artistry into transfiguration. Great work, ten points for Slytherin, you can deposit your creature into one of the cages situated behind my desk."

Esme slyly glanced back to Lily who was sulking in her seat next to Severus before complying to McGonagall's instructions. As she carefully situated the snake into the cage, she fatefully heard snippets of an ongoing discussion between the Marauders who predictable occupied the first row of seats (considering McGonagall was their favorite Professor).

Peter complained, "I just don't understand why we have to go through all this trouble when we could simply transfigure ourselves into animals just like this," he reasoned in a hush tone with the James and Sirius.

"What a bloody brilliant idea, Peter!" Exclaimed Potter, sharing a mirthful look with Sirius.

"And let's say we follow through with this 'brilliant' theory of yours, Peter," Sirius encouraged his mate, "let's say we have all successfully transfigured ourselves into animals."

"How the hell do you expect us to transfigure ourselves back into human beings with bloody talons or hoofs for hands?" James inquired incredulously.

"I don't know! But I'm not bloody eager to suck on a leaf for an entire month! There's got to be another way!" Peter exclaimed from the corner of his mouth, his eyes nearly watering in desperation.

James sighed in empathy, "I know it's not ideal," he muttered.

"But we'll just have to suck it up for Remmy," Sirius added, furiously flicking his wand at an oil lamp.

The glimpse of the conversation caused a whirlpool of information to stir in Esme's mind as she returned to her seat. The marauders were clearly intent on transforming into animals, their pursuit of the mandrake leaf alluded that they would accomplish this through the animagi route. However, what struck Esme the most was Sirius' last comment, that all this hardship was 'for Remmy'. Why would the three pranksters wish to transform into animals for Lupin? Was Lupin an animagi himself?

There was a mystery here and Esme knew she'd be the first to solve it.

•• • •• • ••
•• •

"Nothing!" Regulus exclaimed, slumming down next to Esme for lunch. "I've sifted through the entire library including the restricted section and have found nothing on horcruxes except that they are considered to be uncommonly rare and of the darkest magic."

"Patience, Reg," Esme replied nonchalantly, divulging in a batch of strawberries, "this castle is a goldmine for everything, you just need to know the right place to look."

"What is that even supposed to mean?" Andromeda inquired skeptically after a loud gulp of pumpkin juice, "honestly, Essie, at times you can be so arcane."

Esme rolled her eyes in response, "would you rather I undermine your intelligence?"

Just then the doors of the great hall bursted open with the rambunctious marauders laughing up a storm. It seemed that Sirius had just cracked a joke and that Potter was coughing in his laughter, Lupin's arms were strung around both their shoulders as he attempted to contain a chuckle, and Petigrew followed not far behind, teary-eyed and still giggling.

Yet, as Esme examined the gang she noticed the paleness of Lupin's complexion, and how he almost depended upon his companions' shoulders as crutches, a disguise for an undeniable limp.

Esme's emerald eyes, sharp, like a hawk, never left the group as the settled in their designated seats of the loud and obnoxious Gryffindor table. She observed intently the Black boy pile his injured friend's platter with a variety of chocolates.

"Reg?" She inquired slyly, "does your brother happen to be skilled in Occlumency?"

Regulus finished applying butter to his golden toast and replied, "not to my knowledge."

"Good to know," she stated before gathering her long dark locks into a high ponytail.

"Oh uh," Andromeda exclaimed and nudged Regulus, "Essie, what in Merlins's name are you up to?" For her companions knew that whenever Esme gathered her hair, it meant that she called for a moment of serious focus, and a moment of serious focus from Esme was something to be dreaded and avoided at all costs.

"What?" Esme brushed them off nonchalantly, "your cousin is hiding something and you know how I am with secrets," she easily concluded before furrowing her eyes keenly upon the Black's famed glossy mop of hair.

Both Andromeda and Regulus futilely stared at Esme in utter horror as she determined to unlock whatever confidential information Sirius had in store, for they knew that she was doubtlessly capable of it, when-

"Bloody hell," Esme finally remarked breaking her concentration, with an utterly transfixed expression puzzling her bewitching features.

"What?!" Andromeda and Regulus chorused in anticipation.

"That's exactly what," Esme explained, still startled, "I can't get in the bloody bloke's daft head."

"No," Regulus denied.

"You're joking on me," Andromeda added.

"You're telling me, that my gormless brother was able to defend his mind from your merciless dominance in Legimency?" Regulus inquired in astonishment.

"I mean blimey, Essie, you once were able to penetrate through Slughorn's mind to help me pass that pop quiz last year," Andromeda declared.

"This is absolute bonkers."

"I know," Esme finally spoke, "which proves that something is even more off than I had initially suspected."

A/N
Hahahah
And so the plot thickens...