Prologue

a/n: Hello there!! Thanks so much for taking time out of life to read this :)) Just so everybody is aware, this takes place as if the Grand Magic Games never existed. It’s like right after the Key of The Starry Heavens arc, so there’s the time skip. But nothing else because I don’t understand it lol. The prologue starts out a year after the Key of The Starry Heavens, while chapter one and the rest will be four years after the previously stated arc.

-------------------------

“Aw, look girls!!” Four older girls, either 16 or 17, approached the pale haired girl. “Our little Familiar friend is snooping around the magic shop!”

The girl with the pale blue hair tried to ignore them. She wasn't snooping, she was just admiring the different magically enhanced objects. A year or two ago, before the accident in the largely Familiar populated town, Hargeon, anybody could buy an enchanted object. But a law was passed in an effort to protect the few remaining Familiars (any person without even a little bit of magic) in Fiore that banned them from using anything enchanted, and interacting with magic in general, since it was a Familiar who tried playing around with magic that eliminated herself and the entire town. But that didn't stop thirteen year old Lara Azure from admiring all the goods in her local magic store.

“Ignoring us?” the leader of the group, a girl with long pink hair, asked. “I hope you realize my dad is in the Magic Council and wouldn't be happy to know a Familiar was inside a magic shop. So I suggest you leave.”

Lara didn't want any more trouble with them, remembering her last encounter with them when she talked back.

“You useless rat!! You can't do anything, you're so weak, now get out of my sight.”

She had returned home with a burn on her arm from the one of the girls fire spells, which were getting more and more popular amongst wizards.

This time, she was determined to avoid getting hurt. So she nodded and left, not noticing the young man who was also in the shop, watching her curiously.

“So you're a Familiar, after two years of searching I finally found you.”

Lara Azure walked back into the apartment her family rented on the outskirts of Belle. It wasn't much, but it suited their little family well. The ground floor apartment had two bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and living room. Not to bad for 400 Jewel a month.

She set the groceries on the kitchen counter and saw her parents reading on the couch. When she was younger, they were able to watch shows on a lacrima. Now they have been subdued to a life of old fashioned recreation.

“Thanks for shopping, Lara. Your dad just got home, so I think we should hold off on dinner for a while,” Ailynn, Lara’s mother, said softly.

“That's fine, but can I talk to you two real quick?” Lara asked.

“Of course,” came Ailynn’s reassuring voice.

Lara sat on the floor across the coffee table from the couch.

“I don't like Belle, the people here are awful. How come I get discriminated against just for not having magic? And how can they know so easily?” Lara whispered, not looking her parents in the eye.

“Lara, I got a good job here, and we need to stay here as long as we can. And most people can sense magic energy, which we Familiars simply don't possess,” Her father, Kuto explained gently.

“I hate this, I'm so much weaker than everyone else,” Lara whimpered.

“Come here sweetie, don't cry,” Ailynn comforted the young girl, holding her close as her daughter came to the couch and sat between Ailynn and Kuto.