Chapter One: The Letter and the Wizard

Author's Note: So I've been wanting to write a Harry Potter fanfic for a long time and I finally decided to take the final step in making one. The story features a character of Mexican descent because I've been wanting to write a Latina character for a long time, being Latina myself, but I hadn't had the right idea until now. The face claim of my character will be Andrea Londo who was in Narcos.

In case my readers from Some Things Never Sleep are reading this, I just wanted to say that I'm not going to stop writing that story but I'm probably going to transition from in between this one and that one. It's just a little too much writing Marvel 24/7 and I get a lot of writer's block since it's the only story I was working on until now so I think writing a story from another category could be a nice vacation. I'll write a chapter of this one and then go back and write a chapter of the other one so don't worry. I'm still working on Some Things Never Sleep. It's a little weird not writing a Marvel fanfiction for once but certainly interesting.

This story will eventually be a Draco Malfoy/OC pairing. Some people may find it odd since my OC is a No-Maj-Born or Muggleborn but there's plenty of fanfics out there that have a Hermione/Draco pairing. It's still going to be realistic in the fact that Draco and Selena won't like each other for a long time so this will definitely be a slow burn. I guess writing slow burn stories are kind of my thing now.

The story will begin the start of my OC's first year which is the same year as Ginny and Luna so it will take place from Chamber of Secrets to the Deathly Hallows and beyond. I'll probably combine the storyline from the books and movies together. There was a lot of things I liked from the movie but also a lot of things from the books that I wish were in the movies.

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Harry Potter characters, places, or things featured in this story. Those rights belong to J.K. Rowling and J.K. Rowling alone. I only own the Almendarez family and Nathan Wilkinson. I don't really own the title of the story either since it's a title inspired by the song 'Cherry' by Lana Del Rey which I'm in love with. I also don't own The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air which is heavily mentioned in this chapter.

My rose garden dreams, set on fire by fiends
And all my black beaches (are ruined)
My celluloid scenes are torn at the seams
And I fall to pieces
I fall to pieces when I'm with you

-Cherry by Lana Del Rey

1992

Seguin, Texas

It was a hot Saturday afternoon when she received her Hogwarts letter. It also happened to be the day Selena Almendarez discovered that she was a witch and from that day on, her life would forever be changed. Her parents were No-Majs, or Muggles as they were called in the UK, and were unaware of the wizarding world as most No-Majs were. It came as quite a shock to them when a friendly and slightly eccentric looking man came knocking on their door one day. Selena would end up thinking that it was the best day of her life for years to come. Well, until the second wizarding war, that is. That was when Selena began to doubt a great many things.

"Selena! Selena!" A voice called out to her. Selena looked up from the magazine she had been reading. The eleven year old girl was sprawled out across her bed as she read the issue of Tiger Beat she had stolen from her older sister Sofia. Today was Selena's birthday so she figured there was a lot she could get away with. Her eyes instantly met the gaze of her other sister Belen who was only nine years old. The small girl hesitantly padded into Selena and Sofia's shared bedroom, a bit scared that Sofia would spot her and shoo her away. Selena didn't blame Belen for being scared. Their older sister was quite scary.