Chapter 5

"W-what do you mean?" you say. Jonah looked you in the eyes before his bedroom door burst open.

"Carrot sticks?" His mom asked.

"No thanks, mom." Jonah said. She left with a sad look on her face and Jonah looked back at you. 

"We should get studying." He said.

"Y-yeah." you said. Jonah grabbed his homework out of your bag and you sat down on his bed. Jonah sat down next to you and you two got to  work. 

~

"That wasn't as bad as I thought. I guess it was pretty easy." Jonah smirked.

"Does that mean I don't have to come here anymore?" you said as you packed up.

"Actually, I want to do something that my mom interrupted earlier." Jonah said as he stood up and grabbed your waist.

"Jonah, I have to go-" you were interrupted by a soft kiss. 

"I'm sorry." Jonah said. "Could I, um, ask you a question?" Jonah said.

"yeah, anything." You said.

"You did ask Daniel to see who I liked, right?" Jonah frowned.

"Yeah. I did. I'm sorry." 

"Did you get an answer yet?" Jonah smiled.

"No, but I'd gladly get it from the man himself." you chuckled.

"It's you." Jonah said. The smiled on your face had faded and you were stuck. you thought, "what should I do? we like each other but hate each other at the same time." 

You kissed him. "Jonah, i really should go."  you said.

"Y/n, no." 

"Jo, I'm sorry. i don't think this is gonna work out. And I don't want to get too attached. Besides, tomorrow ill probably find you with another girl." you said as you started to walk toward the door. 

"y/N, please. You're different! I don't want to hurt you or give up on you. But you need to give me a chance." 

You had a frog in  your throat. You tried to swallow it. 

"I'm sorry." you whispered before you turned to open the door and leave. 

"Don't you need a ride home?" Jonah shouted. 

"I have that figured out." you shouted back. You stormed out without saying good bye to Mrs. Marais who was in the kitchen eating the rejected carrot sticks. You closed the door slowly, though. 

"What did you do now?" Esther rolled her eyes.

"I told her how I felt." Jonah blushed. His voice was raspy now- as if he were about to cry.

"oh brother." Mrs. Marais murmured under her breath as she began to walk away. 

You slammed Jack's car door shut and slammed you face into your palms. You burst into tears immediately.

"Woah?! What happened, babe?" Jack said as he started to rub your back and drive away.

"Thanks for picking me up." 

"Yeah, sure, but can you answer my question?" 

"Jonah has feelings for me." 

"Don't you like him, though?" 

"I do, but- okay. From a friends stand-point, you can infer that Jonah is not a friend to us, Correct?" you said sternly.

"Yes." Jack said slowly.

"And he is not our friend because he plays girls, correct?" you say.

"Uh-huh." Jack says s he turns the corner.

"So my judgement is that he is going to do the same to me. And I love him but I hate him and- Oh Jack, i don't know what to do!" you cry. 

"Well- that's- uh- a lot to take in." Jack said shortly. 

"I need you to help me." you sob.

"With what?" Jack asked with a strong sense of empathy ringing in his voice.

"I need you to talk to him." you say as you started to wipe your tears. 

"About what specifically?" 

"Ask him questions about me. Please?" you look up at jack with mascara running down your face.

"I'll take you back to my house." Jack said sternly.

"Why?" you say.

"I need to talk to you about love. You are spending the night. If Jonah seems jealous tomorrow when you or I purposely accidentally bring up the fact that you slept at my house, that will be a sign he likes you." Jack said as he turns onto his street.

"And Daniel may get jealous too." he adds.

"Daniel likes me?!" you yelled.