24. Kissing Or Tricking

“Um,” Aakir begins, facing difficulty in tearing his gaze away from mine and Neal’s hand. His gaze and inept posture goes on for enough long duration to bring it to Neal’s notice. Neal realizes the reason behind Aakir’s muteness. As casually as he can, he loosens his hold on my wrist. A protest falls on my lips as I already feel the brimming sensation notch down a bit, but I bite my tongue to keep it at bay. Following his casual movement, Neal steals his hand away as nonchalantly as possible. He continues to casually raise his arms and fold them across his chest, his blank expressions suggesting that he is finding nothing amiss in the situation. Though, his neck which has started to flush doesn’t go amiss by me. By the looks of it, it doesn’t go amiss by Aakir either.

“What’s happening at the mansion?” Neal asks Aakir, acting as casual as he can. I am in no doubt that he wants the attention to be diverted away from him, preferably to something of great importance at this moment.

“Nothing good.” Aakir replies, finally tearing his suspicious eyes away from us. “The council is being an imperial bunch. They are keeping tabs on Mikhail uncle and they’re not being subtle about it. They have also somehow learned that Nik uncle is returning and they have started to prepare for the onslaught.”

And just like that, whatever is left of my good mood slips away from me. It’s astonishing that for a few minutes I had completely forgotten about the issue looming on our heads. Considering I was putty in Neal’s hands, literally, I am not going to blame myself on this one. I instead focus on the inevitable, unfortunate scenario that we are trapped in. Aakir looks glum, and his words are even glummer. I don’t know what can be more alarming to me right at this moment.

Neal heavily sighs making us look at him, “Maybe we should consider only me going back.”

“No.” I and Aakir instantly reply, making Neal glare at us.

I turn towards Aakir, ignoring Neal, “Is father going to face a lot of problem? What about Mikhail? They are not ill-treating him, are they?” I ask.

Aakir hesitates, “Literally, no. The council has given an ultimatum of ten days to Mikhail. They have ordered him to ensure that you and Nik uncle, and Neal, return back. Ten days, obviously for the journey, else they would have demanded your presence much earlier than even today. The council will probably not take any harsh action against Mikhail till then.”

“All the more reason for me to go back.” Neal says. “I don’t think any issue will be solved till I don’t return.”

I glare at Neal. “Stop being a martyr.”

Neal glares back while Aakir gives me a dry look.

Aakir turns to Neal, “Neal, no. Mikhail uncle is staying amidst all the tension. He knows how to handle the council. And Nik uncle will be there within eight days now. They are willingly facing all the tension, just so you two remain out of trouble.” Aakir says, darting his eyes from Neal to I. “You both cannot go and jump in there.”

“I don’t see anything coming out of that decision.” Neal rolls his eyes.

“Neither do I.” I hesitate, my vacillating thoughts torn between the idea of my family stuck amongst those mongrels and the prospect of Neal being in their claws.

Neal heaves a sigh again, biting his inner cheek as he considers speaking, “You guys do remember how some of the council members treated your family that first day, right? I don’t expect them to be kind to your father and grandfather.” He gives me a meaningful stare.

With my mind completely torn, I curse by getting affected by Neal’s words. I try to assure myself that my elders are far more knowledgeable than us; far more experienced, far wiser to have taken the decision to keep us out of the loop. They are acting pragmatically by keeping Neal out. To think with heart, I feel helpless to realize that the situation doesn’t go in my favor either ways. One side my father balances while on the other Neal. I don’t want to think of this as a choice.