Prolouge

"Patton..." a loud and uncomfortable groan left the princely side, "Are you finished making the soup, yet?" he asked, hating the way his body ached when he moved even slightly.

"Yep," Patton's cheerful voice filled the bedroom as he stepped in, keeping a steady hold on the silver tray and taking careful steps to avoid the various items that littered the ground, "Are you feeling any better?" he glanced down at Roman as he placed the tray on the bedside table, a concerned look crossing his face.

Roman gave a small grumble in reply, burying his face into his pillow in an attempt to make his head stop pounding. Thomas had pushed himself extra hard during one of his auditions, leaving the prince a sick mess. Patton, Logan and (surprisingly) Remus were the only sides to pay him the occasional visit to make sure he was doing okay. Patton, naturally, was the one who checked on him the most out of the three.

The moral side gave a small hum in reply, taking a seat on the edge of the bed and rubbing small circles on the creative sides back, "Do you want me to read to you?" he asked. It tended to make for a good distraction when either of them were sick.

He let out a low hum, shifting his face so it wasn't buried in the pillow, "Please..." he muttered, glancing up at his right brained companion.

"Anything specific?" Patton stood up from his place on the bed, making his way over to the set of bookshelves that lined the left side of the wall.

There was a brief pause as Roman thought over the question, "Surprise me," he muttered.

Patton examined the various books on the shelves, spying a few Grimm Fairy Tale books that he suspected were snuck in by Remus. He also noted several science fiction books he could only assume where courtesy of Logan. A small smile slipped onto his face as his eyes fell on a book he thought would be perfect for the two of them to read together.

He plucked the book off the shelf and made his way back to the king sized bed, taking a seat on the unoccupied side, kicking off his shoes and sliding over to Roman, allowing the sicker of the two to adjust his position and rest his head under Patton's chin.

Patton smiled at the gesture, happy to know that he could be seen as a source of comfort for his friend, "If you need anything, just let me know," he said, turning to the back of the book to see what exactly they were getting themselves into.

"Two kingdoms, Hearts and Spades, had always been at odds with one another, the threat of war looming over their citizens. However, after much discussion between their kings, they agreed to put aside their differences and merge the kingdoms through wedding the prince of Hearts and the princess of Spades. However, everyone has their secrets, and the prince of Hearts is no exception."

Roman smiled slightly, "That sounds rather interesting, " he said quietly, "I think I'd like to hear how this plays out."

Patton cleared his throat, opened the book and began to read aloud.

————

(A/N): I came back to edit the ever living daylights outta this fic, because, oh my gosh, the cringe I went through while reading this was horrible... Anyways, this was my very first Sanders Sides fic, and I really wanted to do it justice, because I felt like it had a lot of potential. So, I'm reworking it a bit to fit my more improved writing style. Hope you enjoy this new and improved version of my first Sanders Sides fic.