Chapter 2

The time for the ball had arrived and both groom and bride were being prepared to meet the other. Even as the Prince of Light had yet to arrive at the castle of Darkness his parents had the servants prepare him and looked him over several times before finally deciding that he was well presentable. Patton tried to keep a chipper mood throughout the whole ordeal, but he'd be lying if he said that it wasn't difficult. Luckily, Roman was able to help calm his nerves just by being at his side.

"We've arrived," the Queen announced, looking out the window of the carriage and admiring the castle. Patton swallowed thickly, feeling his stomach twist into knots. He briefly glanced at Roman, who offered him a small smile, to help reassure him that all would end well.

As the royal family made their way into the castle, Patton felt his eyes go wide in wonder at the beautifully decorated ballroom. He scanned the many faces in the room, spying some rather dashing men and eye-catching women. He felt a hand on his back and a face shift close to his ear, "I'll stall for you, if you want to walk around the place before meeting the princess," Roman said quietly, guiding Patton off towards the side of the room. Patton smiled wide, turning his face to Roman, "Really? You'd do that for me?" he asked. Roman offered a grin, placing a hand on Patton's shoulder and lightly squeezing it, "Of course! The carriage ride here was offaly stuffy, and your parents definitely didn't give you a chance to relax with their constant chatter on reminding you how to act in front of a lady," he explained. Patton bit back a squeal as he immediately wrapped Roman into a tight hug, whispering a small "Thank you!" as he let go and quickly wandered off to explore the castle.

"Aw! That is something you would do, Roman!" Patton chirped. Roman smiled softly at the complement, mumbling a small "Thank you," as he placed the half full glass of ginger ale back on the counter and moved to eat some of the soup, being sure that none of it spilled as he briefly adjusted his position beside Patton.

.o.o.o.

"I'm honestly a little nerves," Virgil's sister mumbled, fiddling with the sleeves of her dress, "What for? From what I've read and heard, the Prince of Light is a rather bubbly character," Logan informed. The princess sighed, glancing at herself once more in the mirror, "I don't doubt it, but... Well... What if we don't get along?" she asked. Virgil couldn't help but laugh, gaining a glare from his sister and a raised eyebrow from Logan, "What's so funny?" Logan asked. Virgil shrugged, making his way to the exit of his sisters chamber, "Oh, nothing," he hummed as he exited the room. Truth be told, he laughed because he found it rather adorable that his sister was so worked up over meeting a prince.

Virgil made his way down one of the many corridors, admiring a few paintings as he walked. His gaze paused on a specific painting of his sister, finding that the lush flowers placed on the table under the painting seemed to fit rather well with the rest of the decor.

.o.o.o.

As Patton wandered the castle halls, he spotted a man admiring flowers. He felt a light blush coat his face as he took in the man's appearance, admiring the way he seemed to shine in the light, despite his dark clothing. Patton swallowed thickly, a voice in the back of his mind telling him he should really get back to the ballroom and meet his bride to be, but another voice was speaking much louder and he found himself approaching the stranger and giving him a big smile, "Hi," he greeted, holding out his hand for the man to shake, "I'm Patton, the Prince of Light."