Chapter Nine: The School

Zelda nervously gripped the heavy backpack on her lap, sitting in the passenger seat of her friend Malon's car.

"So how was your family vacation?" Malon asked. "Was it fun?"

Zelda smiled weakly. Family vacation was her excuse for being in the mental hospital over the summer. "It was great. I had a lot of fun with my dad."

Malon nodded. "I'm just glad you had some time to cool off," she said with a smile. "After... you know."

Zelda found her grip tightening. No, she was supposed to be better now. She was done crying every time her brother's death was brought up. "Yeah," she agreed. "Me too."

They got to school and were swarmed by old friends, some that looked completely different and some that hadn't changed a bit. Zelda found it hard to keep telling people she had been in Lurelin Village with her dad. She wasn't used to lying so blatantly to people.

Her schedule was easy to memorize and her classes, since it was the first day, were fairly easy and there wasn't anything too serious to stress about, so she let her mind wander during school.

She missed Link. She missed Miss Urbosa and the kids from the hospital. She wanted to go back and see how they were doing, but didn't want to ask her dad about it.

During lunch, Zelda had a headache and went to go find a quiet place to eat. She wound up in the library, wandering through the bookshelves. She hadn't spent much time in here in all of her years at school, and now she was regretting it. The library was very quiet and peaceful. It reminded her of Sheik.

After lunch, she was walking, lost in thought, when she bumped into someone. Thankfully she didn't fall, but she did awkwardly reach out to this person to stead herself. She looked up.

"Zelda?" Link asked, a smile popping onto his face.

Zelda blinked. "Link? What are you doing here?"

He blushed. "I may or may not have found out what school you went to and enrolled myself, with permission from Miss Urbosa. I, um, decided to give school another chance."

She lit up, any thoughts of missing Link suddenly vanishing. "What class do you have next?"

He glanced at a slip of paper in his hand. "Uh, English, room 320."

Zelda beamed. "Good. We can walk together."

They laughed and linked arms, hurrying down the hallway to class.

∆~∆~∆

Okay. Whew. Last chapter! Yay me! I was seriously having doubts about finishing this because ugggghhh school and yeah I was struggling with getting off my lazy bottom and just writing.

Anyway.

Thanks to my big sis, SecretlyAHylian, for always telling me how good my chapters are, lol, even if they're really just wordy trash. Love you! :3

And that's all, I guess. Thanks for reading. My next project is one I'm doing with a friend, as well as a small Splatoon fic on the side in honor of the Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2. Stay tuned.

~Feels~