CHAPTER 11

"Harry," she says.

"Yes?"

"I still haven't seen my parents yet."

Her words register in my head when I realize that Jane's parents could very likely be walking the same streets Jane and I have been. I'm at a loss for words, I want her to see her parents, but what if she wants to live with them instead and I won't see her? I push my selfish thoughts away and realize I haven't answered her.

"Um, I mean I'm not sure where they would be," I say reaching over her and switching on the light so I can see her. "Do you know where they died?" I ask.

"I think it was on the freeway, they were on their way to visit me at college," She says, rubbing the tiredness from her eyes. "If you don't want to go I can see if I can go find them on my own and you can stay here," She says

"No absolutely not, no way," I say. "You can't go do something like that by yourself, Jane."

She gives me a confused look and moves her hair out of her face.

"Harry I'm not 5, I basically solved your murder case mostly on my own." She says while yawning.

"It doesn't matter Jane, if you want to find your parents we will do it together. I'm just a little hesitant leaving my grandmother alone," I say playing with her dark brown hair and twisting it between my fingertips.

"I wonder where they are, or what they're doing." She says looking up at the ceiling pondering about her parents.

"Well, when you appear in the afterlife you become the age you were happiest at," I explain looking at her.

She furrows her brow in confusion, "Well, then what age would my parents be?" she asks peeling her eyes from the ceiling and into mine.

"Well probably not any age after you were born considering how much of a brat you were," I say teasing her.

"Haha very funny," she says rolling her eyes at me. "Seriously Harry, I want to find them," she says leaning her head on my shoulder and sighing in frustration.

"Okay," I say sighing "We're leaving tomorrow." I finish, shutting my eyes and thinking about how I'll tell my grandma that the girlfriend she just met wants to go find her parents in a completely different state. And that I'm going with her.

I look over at Jane to see a smile planted on her lips, she looks over at me smiling wider and wider. "A Harry and Jane roadtrip!" she says giggling.

"Sounds like a blast," I reply mimicking her smile. "Okay, we need to sleep now Jane," I say turning off the light beside her.

"Goodnight, Harry." She says pulling the covers over her and snuggling into them.

"Goodnight, J." I say before drifting off to sleep, holding her frame close to mine.

JANE'S POV

I am woken up from the sound of rocks hitting Harry's window, what the hell. I get up as quietly as possible and look out the window. Wesley and Em are sitting on a patch of grass in the backyard throwing pebbles at the window. I put my finger up to them and rush down the stairs opening the back door to the yard.

"What are you two doing?" I ask laughing at them for being so childish.

"Well, we got kind of bored. And we decided to wake you and Harry up." Wesley says shrugging his shoulders.

"Well Harry is still sound asleep, so you didn't succeed with that one," I say raising my eyebrows.

"Mhm, sound asleep." a familiar voice says behind me, catching me off guard.