one ➶ hospital visits and speeding tickets

A/N: thank you so much for giving my book a chance! Hope you like it and feel free to point out any spelling errors (:

Chapter one: hospital visits and speeding tickets
//edited//

Do you ever have that feeling where everything is crumbling down around you and you don't know what to do?

Really? Well, I have too.

"You have Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia, May." The Doctor repeated as if the first time he said it wasn't enough.

I felt my hands go up to my hair on instinct-selfish I know. I couldn't even begin to imagine the things that will change due to my stupid body. I felt my heart sink even further into my stomach and my palms grew sweaty, the doctor gave me a sympathetic gaze and I withered underneath it.

I have never been on the receiving end of that look and it never crossed my mind that I ever would be.

I guess the universe has a shitty way of proving me wrong.

I stand corrected.

"Are your parents here with you, we need to go over some treatment options with them." He asked from across his mahogany desk as he looked concerned.

I just shrugged. "I don't think they'd ever bat an eye to this."

They where too consumed in their daily lives as a housewife and hotshot lawyer to even begin to care about their only child.

He looked confused but handed me a brochure of all the different treatment options and I cringed at the visual aids.

Never, and I mean never, look at a hospitals attempts to make a cartoon on cancer.

It's terrifying.

He was mumbling on about some contact information but I calmly pushed the piece of paper down into the depths of my bag and stood up from the sad upholstered chair.

Looking at him I gave him my bravest smile. "I'll be in touch, you have my contact information."

He just nodded, he has probably seen this type of reaction before—Lonely girl gets cancer and doesn't want to deal with it.

I slowly walked out of the office and turned to the right to get down to my own car. I had told my parents that I didn't feel well two weeks ago and they just shoved me out of the house and told me to fix it myself.

Of course I ignored it but when I noticed the drop in my weight and the pain in my joints I couldn't stop myself from driving over here at once to see if I had some arthritis condition or something along those lines.

I never once in my life expected it to be Leukemia.

When I walked through the front sliding glass doors of the hospital it finally hit me that I could die from this.

Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia is no laughing matter, the doctor had mentioned something about getting treatment right away but when I though of all the school I had ahead of me I just shook my head. It was only September and I was going to miss most of my senior year by the time I get treatment.

Walking to my car I couldn't ignore the fatigue that had taken over my body and I almost tripped over my own feet as I unlocked my car.

My brain felt as if someone had put a blanket over it and I couldn't get it off. My vision started to go blurry and I knew that if I didn't get home soon I would pass out in the hospital parking lot.

Sitting in the drivers seat I pulled my wavy chestnut brown hair into a pony tail and pulled my sunglasses over my light green eyes.

Turning the key in the ignition I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the main road.