six ➶ facing fears and changing gears

A/N: two updates in a row! Let's go!

Chapter six: facing fears and changing gears
//edited//

After I had said goodbye to Frank last night and ate all of his cookies I had gone to bed so I had enough energy to get up in the morning for school.

Waking up this morning was a chore in itself. I rolled out of bed and pretty much dragged myself by the elbows into the bathroom to put on the most 'I-don't-care-what-you-think' kind of outfit.

Nike Tennis shoes, a sweatshirt that said 'Be Happy'—how ironic—and a pair of ripped jeans.

But what really stuck out about this morning was the fact that when I took a shower, my hair started to fall out. It was only a couple of massive chunks but it still freaked me out big time.

Now, sitting down in my first hour I thought about how Franks wife still managed to brighten up his day without even trying and she had cancer like me.

Should I be more like her?

Or should I just stop trying to be a normal person this badly? I mean, Betty did say that many kids my age stop going to school—is that what I should be doing?

No.

I need to keep doing what I'm doing, but change one thing about this whole 'hiding my illness from the entire population' thing. I need to tell someone.

I hate holding in this big of a secret and it needed to get out of my system before I blow up and tell everyone at this school that I have Leukemia.

The bell rang and I shot out of my seat and was ready for my study hall period. What better to clear my head than spend an entire hour in a library reading?

Nothing. There's nothing better than that.

Walking I wasn't far away from the library and when I finally reached the doors and walked through the medal detectors I felt someone snake their arm around my waist from the side and pull me into the depths of the book shelves.

I dropped my phone and he grabbed it off the floor for me and handed it to me with a smile on his face.

"Hey Sunshine."

My demeanor changed and I didn't know what to do, would he bring up what happened yesterday?

"I'm sorry you had to see that side of me yesterday." I said, trying to get this off my chest as fast as I could.

He just shook his head. "No worries, but I am curious as to why you live in a hospital?"

I slumped down and sat up against one of the bookshelves in a hurry and he followed me, sitting down next to me so our shoulders touched and our extended legs brushed up against each other with the slightest movements.

Staring straight ahead I said. "I have Adult Acute Myeloid Leukemia."

God it felt good to get that off my chest.

He spun and turned to me and said something that caught me completely off guard, it was not your usual 'are you dying?' Question but instead "Than why are you waisting your time stuck in school when you could be living life?"

I blinked to make sure I heard what he said correctly. "And what do you suggest? Skip school?" I said more hypothetically than serious.

He stood up quickly and bent down to take my hand in his as he dragged me off the ground much to my dismay, and not to mention pleasure. His hand caused a sensation of a thousand lightning bolts all up and down my arm and I shivered.