An Alternate Dimension

Joshua's POV

"Strolling down the memory lane again, huh?" My best friend Jack asked.

A small smile overtook my features.

"Hmm, you're right. I can't help but think about her whenever I reminisce. Where is she nowadays? I haven't heard from her since she left."

"Don't know man," Jack said, scratching his head. "But I do miss her a lot," he said with a smile.

"So do I, Jack. So do I."

I walked over to the small shelf located on the side of the giant window of my office. Perched on the shelf was a photo frame with a picture of me, Jack, Jones, and Evelyn, all clad in graduation robes, grinning up at the camera. I chuckled at Jack's ridiculous expression.

Jack made a show of flipping his hair, and smirked. "Nobody had the uncanny ability to make people laugh this much."

"Yeah, and also the uncanny ability to crack the lamest jokes ever."

"Hey! Even that requires guts and confidence to pull off."

"Fair point. Anyways, have you compiled all the data sheet i told you to? They have to be done till Thursday."

"Yeah man, its almost done.  I most probably will be done with them today itself," Jack replied.

"Cool! Then I'll see you later."

"Sure! Bye!"

With that, Jack went out of the room.

It had been 10 years since I took over my father's company as the CEO. Looking back, I couldn't help but think about the almost near-death adventures and disasters I had to go through, and what could have happened had I not met Evelyn. I could sell my soul to the devil to meet her again. And I would make the most of that opportunity.

I strolled over to my desk, thinking about the day when it all started.

**FLASHBACK**

I woke up to the excessively bright sunlight barging in through my windows, and of course, my dearest alarm clock, which had its tune set as a very shrill and irritating sound, set by myself so that I could get out of the comfy and snug haven I call my bed. At times, I regret setting that tune because of the amount of discomfort it causes me, but I know if it were something else, I would definitely sleep through it.

But someday, I would wake up without that sound annoying me, someday, that is , when my body is capable to get itself out.

I clambered out my bed and set my feet down on the plush white carpet. I let out a sigh, both of being blissful and fed up. No matter how much that carpet invited me to lay down and stretch on it like a lazy cat, it was a constant reminder of how my needs for love were attended to by a credit card and no human emotion. Yes , my parents were loaded, my father being the head of a multi-billionaire company, Emperio, and my mom being a successful lawyer. This was an explanation enough that we lived, or rather , existed, in this monstrosity, which goes by the name of a mansion. I won't describe it, because it's pointless to describe a building where three people dwell in all separate corners.

So, back to me. As much as I am pegged as a rich spoilt brat, being the only son and blah blah , I am far from it. I live in the building because if I go elsewhere, it will raise questions and my dad would blast me with a cannon. As much as I hate him, I pretty much like my life. I drive cars, fancy cars, because I have been drooling over them since I learnt the word 'car', and not because I want to show them off. I am often seen in high end parties because I am dragged there on gunpoint, metaphorically, yet. I am blessed with good looks because God sent them, and not because of spending hours in front of a mirror. I am a down to earth person, a straight-A kid, because, well I am a nerd, a proud one at that. Yeah, that's it.

So I got up and got fresh. My stuff that I packed for school was ready to travel with me. I quickly dressed up and picked up my phone and headphones. I was about to head outside when someone knocked on my door. Strange.

I walked up to the door- yes , I don't act like an ass and yell "you may enter"-and opened the door, only to be greeted by a stranger called mom.

"Yes? How may I be of service to you? " I said in a singsong voice.

She sighed. "See Josh-"

Wow! Nickname? !

"-I know we are not as close as we used to be-"

"No shit Sherlock," I said in a deadpan voice.

"Will you stop it for now?!" She said in exasperation. "Anyways, we need to tell you something important. "

"What, another party to boost your business?"

"No it is much more important, " she snapped with a glare. "So come down and join us at the breakfast. " she turned and stepped down the stairs.

Breakfast?

With them?

Together?

I hope I haven't woken up in an alternate dimension.

Anyways, I headed downstairs, with the conviction of exploring this new dimension.

**************

Hope you enjoy this chapter. Please take some time to drop a comment here and there. I will reply to all comments, seriously.

May the force be with you
- natasha.