Pink

-Simon-

There was a small string of smoke that rose from my barrel after the shot fired out. I was going to get this fucker.

"Holy shit!"

That was Jake's voice.

I rushed towards the noise and rounded the corner, turning into the darkness to be illuminated by a soft glow coming from Jake's hands. They were gripping his gun tightly, every muscle in his knuckles twitching as he shifted his weight from side to side, alert. His eyes were wide and held a glimpse of flame on their own.

We both glanced at the gunshot in the wall and he exploded, "Dude! What the fuck!?" He yelled.

I sighed, knowing it was my fault, but not wanting to get fussed out because I was being overly cautious, "Relax, I'm sorry."

I tried to be civilized about the mistaken identity, but he wasn't, "What the fuck are you so trigger happy for?! You know damn well if I was a half a second slower, I'd be dead." We always acknowledged each other's strength. Jake had the best speed out of the both of us, being able to fire a full round and reload in less than 10 seconds. I was the accurate one, able to hit a bullseye from 3 miles away. A perk of being a Special.

My own anger started to condense as he kept yelling at me, "Can we move on!? We're here to stop a threat. Not fuss each other out!" I chewed.

The fire in his hands grew bigger as he clenched them into fists, stepping close to me, "Exactly and I. Am. Not. The. Threat."

I could feel the air around me start getting ice cold, and my fingers got numb as a few icicles formed at the tips of my fingers. I gritted my teeth together, clenching them to calm myself but it wasn't working. "You're acting like one."

I was watching the flame in his eyes raise and I knew I could extinguish him in a heartbeat if he wanted to try me. I realized there was an imprint in my palm from the gun clutched so tightly in my hand, but it still didn't hurt as much as my anger right now.

There was a sudden loud bang noise against the wall next to us.

Both of us calmed down and fell silent as our elements disappeared. I re-gripped my gun, loosening up on the grip as I watched Jake indicate towards the door the noise would come from. I nodded, all previous anger dissolved between us. Jake nodded toward the door again and I moved myself to prepare to kick down the door.

I pushed all my weight forward on the door and it flew off a hinge and split the wood. Jake moved forward and surveyed the room, swinging his gun as his line of sight went. He relaxed once he saw the room but he stayed silent and motioned me forward. I followed.

He pointed towards a closed closet door and that's where the sound came from. I motioned him to get the door and he moved to the side. This is our guy and I was ready to kill him. He wasn't gonna tell what he knows to anybody ever again.

Jake quickly opened the door and I aimed my gun at a rack of clothes in the closet. A small motion and whimper made me drop my eyes to where a bunch of shoes were sprawled out and what caught my attention were a pair of eyes.

 A small motion and whimper made me drop my eyes to where a bunch of shoes were sprawled out and what caught my attention were a pair of eyes

They were scared eyes. Of a girl. She saw the gun pointed at her and began shuddering in fear, tears rolling down her cheeks, holding her stuffed fox close to her chest. I quickly pointed my gun downwards and glanced back at Jake. His eyes were transfixed on the small girl. Jake seemed out of it and the girl was quietly crying. I finally started to take control of the situation, "Where is he?" I demanded. 

My loud voice must have startled her because she jumped and tried to crawl to the back of the tiny closet. She was crying a little more now. I sighed, knowing she was too scared to communicate with me. But I was sure she knew something about him,  "Where the fuck is he!" I yelled at her. 

"Ahh!" She screamed and cried even harder than before, I didn't think it was impossible. 

I felt a hand grab my arm tightly and dragged me away from the closet. The hand that grabbed my arm was much warmer than usual. What's gotten into him? "Why are you yelling at her?" He scolded. 

I looked at him crazy, "Do you want the guy or not? She's the only lead we've got." Just as I said that both of our phones vibrated at the same time, both of us fishing it out and checking the message. It was Andy. I read the text aloud, "We got him. Guy's taken care of." I nodded, knowing what we've been standing here for is pointless and the whole situation is over. I shook my head and dropped my phone back into my pocket, following by slipping my gun into my suit pocket. 

I walked out of the small bedroom and started heading for the car. I'd like to get home after a day of work. Jake followed after me once he realized his feet worked, "Simon, where are you going?" 

I looked back at him, a little confused on why he wouldn't already be in the car. "Home?" 

I was out of the house and finding the keys to the SUV, "What about the girl?" 

I was a little confused why he was still stuck on the subject, "What about her?" 

Jake pointed back to the house, referencing the girl, "She might know something. I feel like we need to interrogate her." 

He had a point, but she still probably too scared to talk to us. "She's not gonna talk to us, I'll send someone out here soon to talk to her." I opened my door for me to get into my car, a sign for Jake to start making his way to the car too, but Jake was considering my offer and what needed to happen, but he hesitated on walking away. He stayed on the porch, his lip in his teeth and his hands in his pockets, looking me with those puppy dog eyes which made me knew he wanted something. "What?" I asked him. 

He rocked back and forth on his feet and thought of words to get me to coax him into what he wanted. I just wanted to go home, but he wanted something else. He shrugged, "I thought maybe we could talk to her." 

"She's not going to talk to us. You saw how scared she was." I told him logically. I pointed a gun at her face and she did nothing, but cry. She'll probably need some major therapy if she ever gets the chance. 

"I know," Jake looked down at his feet, ashamed of himself almost, "But I still think we should try?" 

I was getting impatient, "And why should we?" 

He smiled sheepishly, "She's a Special." 

I looked my brother dead in the eye and he was very genuine in what he wanted and he wanted to talk to another Special. If I didn't love my brother, I'd get in the car and leave. 

Regardless, I closed the driver door to the SUV.