Chapter 1

ONE.

I laid on the ground of the holding cell. It's been 6 hours and Yoongi isn't here yet. I pulled my knees to my chest, trying to shrink down into a little speck.

I glance to my right, looking at a lady that sat on the ground messily, the stench of cheap alcohol radiating off her. Not that I'm in any position to judge, I am laying right next to her.

The corners of her eyes creased with wrinkles, betraying the make-up she had caked on obviously to keep them hidden. She was twice my age, maybe?

She catches me looking at her and my eyes instantly dart to my feet. "Shit." I cussed under my breath the moment I hear her feet shuffle. Is she coming to me? I stared at my feet and noticed how my vision was still blurred.

Damn, it's been 6 hours and I'm still not sobered up?

"Little girl." I hear her say, as though she was about to start a lecture. My gaze lands on her slowly and I noticed she was a little closer than before.

"What's a young girl like you doing here?" She says with a distinct accent. I can't tell where she's from but its hard to comprehend her.

I simply ignore, not wanting to start a conversation with someone. "All you young people, always so rude." She sneered, smacking her lips together. I hear a plop and I look at her taking off her her heels, throwing them across the holding cell.

A police officer comes by, tapping against the cell bars with his baton signalling for us to keep it down even though barely any noise was made.

He had been doing that every 30 minutes. I guess it somehow gives him a sense of empowerment. I found it dumb though.

Finally, I hear a familiar voice at the front of the counter. "Here for Kang Nina." And after a few seconds, they finally release me from the holding cell. I remained silent until we exited the station.

"It's almost 4am." I say, looking up at Yoongi who had an exasperated look on his face. He licked his lips, arching his brows as he looked down at me.

"Are you really going to scold me for being late?" He responds with an agitated tone.

"I mean, what were you doing?" My brows knit together.

"You do know I have a life, right? I didn't have to bail you out." He stated and I pause.

"You're right, I'm sorry." I shake my head, getting a little dizzy from it. "I promise, this is the last time." I said and he stares at me.

"That's what you said the last time." His expression unreadable, "And the time before that-"

"Okay, I get it." I cut him off, not wanting to be reminded.

"I think you should go to an AA meeting." He says and I halt.

"What?" My brows furrowed as I stared at him.

"I'm serious, Nina. I get it, you're upset about losing your job, but it's time you start searching for another. Your savings will run out eventually." He says and I roll my eyes.

"I'll find a job, but I'm not going for an AA meet. I'm not some alcoholic." I say and Yoongi deadpans.

"What?" I look at him annoyed, I hated when he gave me that look. As though what I had said was the dumbest and most absurd thing.

"Nina, if you want to keep talking to me, you're going to an AA meet."

"Isn't this emotional blackmail?"

"I don't care, Nina. I already signed you up." He says as he crossed his arms over his chest.

We were still waiting at the side of the road for a cab but the street was dead silent.

"No. I'm not going." I snap at him. We spot a cab and he raises his arm, flagging it down.

He gets in it and closes the door before I could enter.

"Um, excuse me?" I say as I pulled against the door but it remained shut.

"You're not getting in until you agree to go tomorrow." He says from the window.

"Tomorrow?" An incredulous look smeared across my face as he nods.

"Fine, just open the door." I say, giving in. I slump next to him, not daring to meet his gaze.

I hated whenever Yoongi got upset.

He was my neighbour. We never really spoke to each other until last year when a fire brought us closer. We had to evacuate the building in the wee hours of the morning and the both of us were whining through out.

After that we sort of clicked. We'd occasionally stop in the hallways for mini conversations and then it ended up with us going over to each other's homes for dinner. It was a chill friendship. Not high-maintenance which I enjoyed.

"I expect you to keep to your word and go for that meet." He says from his doorway.

"Yeah, yeah." I say, closing my door behind me as I entered.

Ugh, how was Alcoholics Anonymous going to be like?

. . .

I pushed open the door and notice people already sitting in a circle. I try to subtly make my way into the circle and sit on a chair.

Surprisingly, my presence is barely even acknowledged.

After a few seconds of fumbling with seats, everyone finally goes quiet and still. I glance at everyone, one by one, their baggage almost visible except for one.

A woman, around my age, sitting right across me with her legs crossed over each other. She wore a black pencil skirt and a dress shirt. She looked like a business woman, all kept together. I would've never guessed that she was an alcoholic.

Maybe she wasn't. Maybe she was like me, forced to come here. I knew for a fact, I wasn't like the rest of them.

Finally, someone speaks out. "Welcome everyone, to Alcoholics Anonymous." The man beamed. "I'm Lee Jaeun, the chairperson." He continues smiling, it agitated me slightly.

What was he so happy about. He was sitting in a room with messed up people.

"Are there any new comers?" I feel him eye me but I sink into my seat, not wanting to say a thing. I simply massage my temple as I tried to relieve the throbbing pain.

I look back up and see a hand stick out from the corner of the room. "Yes." Jaeun motions for him to speak.

"Hello, my name is Taehyung and I'm an alcoholic."