ONE ¦ the comeback

hello. it's me. again. writing this book. again.

lol.

on another, more desperate note, if anyone wants to check out my orignal book Devilish, please do because i'm an attention whore and i like validation. pls. i will love you forever.

bold=Swedish

CHAPTER ONE

THE COMEBACK

It was late, the sun had long since set and even in the thick forestry surrounding him, there was still a slight breeze, carrying a sharp bitterness that made him shiver slightly.

Ren poked at his small fire, hoping to feed the flames higher by doing so. It was probably nearing winter again, but he didn't keep track of the days, or the months. He only guessed from the lack of time the sun spent in the sky and how the air seemed sharper.

He rolled his neck tiredly, his casual thoughts numbing with exasperation as he stifled a yawn. Just as he was about set up his regular makeshift bed, there was an abrupt rustle from the bushes, startling him into an innate awareness, his shoulders squared defensively. With tentative steps, Ren's fingers curled around the stick he was using to awaken the fire as he advanced towards the noise. At first, he thought maybe it was just an animal, but living in a radioactive forest you could never be too careful.

And then, whatever it was, started to cough violently.

With a perplexed frown, Ren cocked his head to the side, his grip loosening as he brushed back the foliage. As far as he knew, irradiated massive cats weren't known for coughing. He kept himself hidden, crouching low as he watched a figure stagger towards a tree, their body trembling as they heaved up whatever their stomach had to offer.

Ren knew he should have probably taken that as the opportunity to get one up on the stranger, but he was completely taken aback. He hadn't seen another person in... weeks. He was beginning to think he was cursed to be alone.

From the slick blonde hair that shrouded her face, and the sweat-glistened skin, he didn't need three guesses to work out she needed help and considering they were both in the middle of nowhere, it was unlikely she would stumble upon someone who could help her that wasn't him.

After a moment of a heated internal debate, Ren groaned and rolled his eyes. It looked like he was about to play the part of a savior; something he definitely wasn't.

Clearing his throat as a forewarning, Ren stepped out from his hidden position beneath the shrubbery and almost instantly, glassy green eyes snapped up to meet his. They were bloodshot and puffy, he had a suspicion that the droplets on her face weren't just from the sweat of a fever either. She eyed his awkward stature warily, her fingernails digging into the bark as she tried to keep herself upright, but even a blind man could spot how she looked barely alive.