THREE| i spy mispronouncing names

[not edited]
bold= Swedish fish

CHAPTER THREE
I SPY MISPRONOUNCING NAMES

"You know, the more we walk around in what appears to be circles, the more I feel like I should question your navigational skills."

Looking up from the map, Ren narrowed his eyes at his friend, challenging her to continue, "We aren't going round in circles."

"I feel like we are."

"Well your feelings are wrong."

The engineer swallowed the urge to groan at Ren's curt replies and instead continued forward. Ever since she pushed for him to stay at Camp Jaha with her, he had built up a wall, reinforced by another wall, like he was trying to block Carter out specifically, which she thought was stupid because in a radioactive forest such as the one they had been living in, she was all he had.

"You can't stay mad at me forever, Ren." Carter sighed, glancing cautiously at him as he promptly kept his attention on of the map.

"Challenge accepted." He replied simply, looking up at her with a thin smile.

"What, no— that's not what I meant," Carter rushed, before exhaling in defeat, "Look, if it really bothers you that much, I won't bring up staying at Camp Jaha again," She paused for a moment, wondering if her next move would prove too bold, but she did it anyway, "I'm sorry, Camp Jahaha."

That seemed to have cracked through Ren's facade if not a little, as he released a small breathy chuckle before looking back down at the map. After one last final glance, he folded it up and put it back in his pocket, turning to face Carter once again, "You promise?"

"Hey, what a pretty tree..." Carter trailed off purposefully as she pointed towards an ordinary pine tree.

"Carter,"

"Fine," Her shoulders deflated as all plans to try and convince Ren to stay with her went out the metaphorical window, "I promise."

"Atta girl," He smiled happily, almost immediately jumping straight back into his regular childish self as he patted Carter on the head, ruffling her hair before she batted his hand away, "I'm bored, are you bored? Let's play I Spy."

And suddenly, Carter wished she didn't reach out to make amends.

"I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with..." His eyes scanned the vicinity, expression all too serious as he tried to think of a good one, "B."

"B?" Carter echoed, arching a brow as she decided to play along. According to Ren's map skills— which Carter never cared to learn where he acquired them from— Camp Jaha wasn't more than a few hours away, so maybe playing some trivial game would help pass the time, "Bark?"

"Oh, you're good," Ren feigned awe while fashioning a faint smirk, "Your turn,"

"I spy something beginning with..." She pursed her lips into a thin line of concentration, when she spotted a familiar black bird perched high up in one of the many trees, "R."

"Oh wow, you really are obsessed," Ren's eyebrows shot up as a bright look of amusement lit up his eyes, "It's me, isn't it?"

"You're ridiculous." Was Carter's only deadpan response.

"I wouldn't blame you, it's a pretty good one." Ren defended lamely, "Oh! I got it! It's that bird thing named after your friend, Robin!"

Carter frowned as she tilted her head to look at him, "Robin?" She raised an eyebrow, "You mean Raven?"