Chapter 19. She trusts you.

I looked up in the sky, staring at constellations. They were so far from me, but so close at the same time. It was still hard for me to believe that here, in this world, stars always seemed to be closer, than in the one I was banished from.

We'd been walking for good ten hours, before Catherine found the glade that was supposed to be three quaters away from the safe point. We decided to rest here, considering how excausted everyone were, so in the next hour people were putting up tents and making bonfires. I shared a tent with Gill, while Maya and Cat shared another one.

I turned around, seeing almost sixty tents on a glade. Luckily for us, it was big enough and it was possible to get a little privacy. I was sitting on a small cliff, apart from the crowd. It was really dark, but the majority of people were still outside, sitting around bonfires, chatting and eating. I didn't want to join any of them, and not only because they still didn't trust me. No, I just felt something weird. It was like I'd forgotten to do something important, but had no idea what it was.

I sighed, laying on the grass. It was a little bit cold, but I was fine with it. Not far from me, under the hill the glade was located on, was a wide, fast river. I liked hearing it, mostly because back in the world I came from I'd been living near the same loud river. Once again, I realised I missed my home. Yes, even though this one was my motherland, the other world still was my home. It'd brought me up. How could I forget about that?

Suddenly something small and warm crushed into me. I gasped and sat up, turning around. To my surprise, I saw The Founder's chicken, looking at me with surprise. I gulped and backed away from the bird - it would be better for me to stay away from it. After all, I wouldn't want being framed of abducting Miss Founder's beloved pet. However, the chicken clucked a little and came closer to me, showing no fear.

- H... Hey there. - I backed away even further. - Where is... Where is your master?
The bird clucked once again.
- Go, go. - I tried to make the chicken go away. - I don't want to get in trouble.

Then the former Eversourse suddenly jumped on my lap. I flinced and froze, looking at it slowly laying down on my legs. Now I couldn't move, the memories about the importance of that small, warm creature were still fresh in my head. I knew that The Founder cared about it, as if that bird was actually her child. And well, I wouldn't want her to think I tried to hurt the chicken. After all, I've experienced enough hate.

Suddenly I heard somebody running towards me and turned around as much as I could. Milo came out from the bushes, worried - even in the twilight I saw the expression in his eyes. He was panting, as if after a long run.
- Aiden! Have you seen... - Then his gaze stopped on the chicken on my lap. - Oh, there she is!

- She just came here! - I explained, ready to put my hands in the air. - I-I-I tried to get away from her, but...
- It's okay. - The blonde ruler chuckled. - I don't think you tried to abduct her.
- Thank you! - I sighed in relief. - Could you, please, take her off me?

Milo smirked and sat down close to me. The chicken clucked again and put its, or rather, her head on my knee. To be fair, at the same time I wanted to get away from her and to pet her, but couldn't do any of that.
- Relax. - The male ruler smiled. - If she is sitting there willingly, it means she trusts you.

- She does? - I stared at the warm bird in surprise. - After everything I've done?
- It's been a year, Aiden. And Benedict is very smart. She wouldn't be here if she thought you weren't trustworthy.
- Oh, okay. - I nodded and sat up straigher, trying to not move my legs. - So, you're not taking her, are you?

- No, until she decides to go somewhere else. - Milo chuckled, staring at the stars. - Isa trusts her, and I just wanted to make sure she didn't run away. Looks like even Benedict knows it's safer to be with us.
- Uh-huh. - I nodded slightly. It was just so strange - to have somebody believing in you. Believing in your capability to save everyone. Especially since I couldn't believe in myself. What if I fail? This time, there wouldn't be any second chances, any opportunities for me to prove myself.