Chapter 7

*Not Edited*

_______________________

The Wheeler Siblings walked out into the city. Anne held W.D.'s hand, each showing a blank expression to those around them. Even though they're loved by the audience of the circus, they are still discriminated outside of the tent a few times.

This bothered Anne the most, since she and Phillip kissed at the end of each show, becoming a bit of a tradition. Whenever she heard the racial slurs and threats, it makes her wonder if she is really good enough for a man like him.

The two stopped by a theater, where they used to beg for money. Anne remembered the first time they arrived there, a week after arriving in New York.

"We're going to see him?" Anne asked. W.D. looked at her and stopped. He down looked at her, since he's about three inches taller.

"I think we'll have to," He reluctantly said. "Maybe he can help us,"

Anne looked down, saddened by their last option. Her brother noticed, and lifted her head by her chin.

"I know you don't like him, neither do I," He told her. "But we don't have any other option. They already plan on doing this. This tour could bring in more money to the circus, and we can't make Phillip stop it because of us,"

She thought about it. If they leave on tour with the proper papers, they could be taken back to the lives they hated. If the brother and sister duo don't leave, it could lead to more problems to the tour rather than just their own.

W.D. held his sister's hand, the scar from years ago hidden, and they walked to their old home.

*********************************
Anne and W.D. made it to the tavern they once lived in, which was a close by the old circus building. It had a few spare rooms upstairs and in the basement. This bar was different than the one P.T. went to. This one had an older style to it. It was a tall cube-like building, called the Fraunces Tavern.

The two entered the bar, seeing that nothing has changed since the day they left. The counter, tables, and chairs were all wood and the booths. There was fireplace was burning and the walls were covered with pictures and stuffed animal heads. The tavern wasn't very full, but the ones who rarely leave sat around the round booth and nearby counter.

They didn't notice that the duo walked in, just laughing and drinking beer. W.D. cleared his throat, getting a few of the men's attention. They stopped, making the room filled with silence.

"Hello, hello, hello," the man greeted. He stood from his seat and walked on the table. He jumped off, now standing in front of the Wheeler Siblings. "What brings you two to this part of town?"

"We can't just see how you're doing without us, Thomas?"

The man smiled. Thomas was a bit over the age of 40, his hair a was a dark brown, with small curls at the ends. His clothes were a bit ragged, similar to what W.D. once wore. While he wore that, W.D. and Anne had their wardrobe improved. The two wore newer coats and shoes, something they couldn't really afford before the circus.

"Now," Thomas said, leading them to sit down while he walked back to his seat. "You have my payment?"

Anne reached into her pocket and tossed a small sack onto the table. Thomas reached for it and opened the sack. He pulled out $30, making him smile. He looked back at the two Wheelers, who didn't leave like they usually did.

"You need something from me don't you?" He asked, with a smug.

"Yes," W.D. reluctantly muttered. "Can we talk in private?"