Following Orders

Lewis had just come back from dinner, her head feeling over-stuffed from the rapid fire classes she'd attended and her body aching with fatigue. She'd just turned in the M-60 assistant gunner's bag after her classes, as well as the four ammunition boxes full of rocks and everything else people had given her to carry during the day. Since she'd been listed as the assistant M-60 gunner yesterday Stokes had made her carry the bag and the boxes while wearing her Kevlar vest and her LBE, with her mask strapped to her hip during PT so she could get used to running while carrying it all.

"To build up strength and endurance," the big Amazon had said.

She ehad to carry it on her mile "acclimation run" that morning. The gunner's bag had two spare barrels, cleaning gear, an asbestos oven mitt, two upper loading trays, and some repair equipment. She'd had to drape 200 rounds of belted blanks on her torso after the exercise part of PT so she carried it on the run. At least Putter had told her to point the tips away from her so she didn't get poked. To top it off, because she'd shot expert on the pistol and the M3, she'd been given the choice of her additional sidearm. She'd chosen the .45, and now had to carry the pistol and six magazines. Right after breakfast, during the class break, Lewis had to go and draw her new .45 and her M-16, was issued magazines full of blanks, and had to arrange everything again. During class William Stillwater had come up and hung a chemical detector off her canteen.

Cromwell and Putter had each told her that she'd get used to the extra weight. Right before lunch Stokes had walked up, dropped a bandoleer of 40mm practice grenades around Lewis's neck, and walked off. About an hour later Foster had walked up, put two extra batteries for his radio in her right hip pocket. An hour before dinner and Sawmoth had walked up and dropped something called a Combat Lifesaver's bag around her neck, making her adjust everything. Ten minutes later Stokes came by and stuffed a practice Claymore landmine into Lewis's left thigh pocket.

Lewis had practically been waddling when she went to dinner. She had felt loaded down with gear during the day and on the run.

Now she felt like she was floating as she walked up the stairs from the bottom of the barracks to the CQ Area. Her knees and hips and lower back ached, but it felt weirdly good to Lewis. She found she was looking forward to tomorrow, even though she knew that during the day she would have people put more and more gear on her.

She'd understood what it was about. Weighing her down after she'd already started to get tired, in order to build strength and endurance.

Lewis was starting to understand why all the women in the hot-site squads were so buff.

When she pushed into the CQ Area she saw Sergeant Battle leaning against the counter. The higher ranking female turned to Lewis.

"You're in First Squad, correct?" The senior NCO asked Lewis.

"Yes, Sergeant," Lewis said, stopping and going to Parade Rest.

"At ease, soldier," Battle smiled.

Lord, to be so young and full of energy again, Battle thought wryly as Lewis relaxed.

"You know where Sergeant Stillwater's room is?" Battle asked.

"No, Sergeant," Lewis admitted.

"Room 275," Battle said. She gave a soft laugh. "He's been in that room since before the paint dried on this building."

"Room 275," Lewis repeated.

"Second floor, far end, halfway down," Sergeant Battle told her.

Lewis wondered why her Platoon Sergeant was telling her where her Squad Leader lived.