Chapter 6

The classes passed away over the course of time, and the gang continued to focus on their work. Sameer and Naina stealing glances at each other, without the knowledge of each other, of course. Munna stared unabashedly at Swati, while Prem chatted away with his "dost" at every chance possible, irrirtating Munna and fuelling Sameer's Green eyed monster.

Oh how many times during the 2 hours and 40 minutes had Sameer imagined breaking the 206 bones in Prem's body, no one had any idea. But he controlled. Naina would not look at him any kindly if he harmed her friend, and he couldn't afford to upset Naina at this point. Lunch break came and Sameer's hopes rose again. He could talk to Naina now. He students all rushed out of the classroom at the first ring of the bell, excited to taste and utilise every second of the 30 minute freedom. Naina took her sweet time, packing away her books and grabbing her lunch box, while Swati and Prem stood by her, waiting and chatting.

Prem had a habit of chatting, both the girls had discovered during the first half-hour. They knew about his mom, his old friends, his old school and a few other memories that he blabbered about, getting into trouble, all innocent of course. They now knew that he was an ace cricketer- the captain of his team back in Mumbai- he played the guitar, and was going to apply for a place in the leadership team, especially when it was mentioned that it was Naina's brother Arjun who was the headboy. The girls were loving it, hearing his constant blabbering and his cute and witty sense of humour.

Sameer stood more towards the door of the classroom, Munna Pandit and Himmat lounging around by his side. Naina picked up her lunchbox, turned to Prem and Swati and the trio moved towards the front of the classroom, to the door. Sammer straightened up and got off the table he was sitting on.

Sameer: Naina!

But, to his shock and disappointment, Naina appeared to have not even heard him, as she walked right past without batting as little as an eyelash. Sameer and his trio stared at the retreating backs of Swati-Naina-Prem in shock, who made their way into the canteen. Talking to Naina suddenty seemed like an impossible task, Sameer realised. "Ab kya karun? Sameer thought desperately.

Lunch passed by in a jiffy. Sameer and his trio sat on their usual table, but today instead of chatter, there was an air of tension around them, as a result of, of course, the adjacent table, where Swati-Prem-Naina sat, now joined by the ever-chirpy Preeti as well. there was an influx of chatter from their table, which the boys were quite intently listening to.

Prem: Naina, tum to jaanti ho, maine school saal ke beech-o-beech join kiya hai. Bahut kaam bhi miss kiya hai. Kya tum mujhe padhaogi? Taaki main bhi tum jaise same level pe aa jaun? Please?

Sameer felt the volcano he had calmed down with magnificent effort, rise up again. Either Prem would be the death of him, or he would be the death of Prem. Sameer groaned internally, and waited with a caught breath for the response.

Preeti: Haan yaar Naina, bichaare ki baat to sahi hai. Tu to vaise bhi topper hai, sab kuch aata hai. Kar de na madad bichaare ki.

Sameer prayed to all that was Holy, for a negative answer, making all sorts of deals with the Lord. But Alas, for life had chosen that very moment, to give Sameer a "Karma is a bitch lesson.

Naina: haan kyu nahi Prem. Main tumhe apne saare notes de dungi aur tum padh lena.

If you too, like Sameer, let out a breath of relief, go back and read the last paragraph.

Prem: Nainaaa! Nahi hoga. Mujhse NOTES nhi padhe jaate. Kuch samajh nhi aata. Tum padha do na please?

Naina: Lekin... main.. Prem...

Preeti: Offo Naina, kitna pareshaan ho ke bol raha hai bichaara.

Prem: Haan Naina, please na? tum jahan bologi, hum vahan padh sakte hain, tumhaare ghar ----

Preeti and Naina: NAHHIII!!

Preeti: Prem, humaare ghar!? Tum khud bhi maroge aur humein bhi marvaoge. Humaare ghar nahi. Sochna bhi mat.

Prem: acha theek hai.. shant ho jao. Naina, tum kaho to mere ghar, ya school, ya park, kahin bhi chalega. Lekin mana mat karna na.. please? Tum chaho to main tumhe formal letter likh ke de deta hun.

Naina: Arre iski koi zarurat nahi hai Prem. Theek hai baba. Main padhaungi tumhe. Roz, school ke pehle, ek ghanta, classroom mein. Manzoor hai?

Prem: Manzoor hai Naina, sab Manzoor hai. Thank you Naina! Tum best ho.. I love

Time stopped. Six faced whipped towards Prem. Swati-Naina-Preeti-Munna-Sameer-Pandit, all with the same expression etched across their face though it meant different things. The girls were just plain in shock; Munna-Pandit were surprised and a little intrigued. After all, not everyday did someone say the words "I and "love in the same sentence. That too, in school. That too, to NAINA.

Sameer's expression, ah, the classic "Finish-that-sentence-and-I-will-rip-you. Lucky for him that no one noticed. Or that no one knew what that specific expression meant. Otherwise the little secret love-story wouldn't have been a secret anymore. After all, it's not every day that Sameer Maheshwari day-dreams of murderous scenarios.

Prem: --- the fact ke tum yahan meri sabse pehli dost bani. Kyu? Tumhe kya laga?

While the 5, the girls, Munna-Pandit visibly relaxed at his response, Sameer had, once and for all, decided that he disliked Prem. A lot. More like with every fibre of his being. Prem better watch out. He just ticked a sleeping lion. He shouldn't have done that.

Precap:

Coach: "Mubarak ho Sameer, aaj se tum Cricket team ke captain ho. Ab iss team ko tumhe sambhaalna hai. Practices aur team ki form tumhaari zimmedaari hai

Coach: "Welcome to the team, Prem

Sameer: "Guys, hum roz practise karenge. EK ghanta, subha school se pehle.

Prem: "Sameer! Time change nahi ho sakta? Vo subha meri tutions hote hain

Sameer: "Sorry Prem. Team mein 11 log hain. Ab har ek ke hisaab se nhi chal sakte na? Tumhe prioritise karna hoga

Sameer (mentally): Ab dekhta hun Prem. Tu Naina ke saath har subha kaise padhta hai.