s i x t e e n

[stop shouting!]
-chapter sixteen

+

the music was still booming but I could clearly hear the voices.
"you think you're so great" it began "news flash, you're not. rich, blond, famous you've got it wrapped around your little fingers. bet your parents don-"

he never finished the sentence

i made my way through the crowd to see and confused adrien and somebody walking out the door. adrien murmured something inaudible under his breath.
"what happened?" i shouted so I could just about be heard. adrien gave me a careless, dismissive wave of his hand and signed heavily.

"why is jeremy so angry?" I asked " you didn't do anything, right?"
adrien laughed "you'll know soon enough, I shouldn't be the one to tell you"

i gave him a puzzled look,not really understanding anything at the moment. why?

why did he despise adrien so? is it me?

I walked around as the tempo of the music slowed down. ew, I hrew up in my mouth a little as I looked over to see alya and nino making out in a corner. typical. seriously- get a room you two.

suddenly someone grabbed my arm and pulled me into a dance. for a moment i had forgotten where i was- then it all came back. I looked up to see jeremy's white teeth shining down on me.

''I thought you had left and, where's adrien?'' i asked- trying very subtly to indicate i had no interest in dancing at the moment. these seemed to go unnoticed and i could've sworn he held my hand tighter so i too wouldn't leave.
"what does it matter?" he asked "we came here together."

i stared up at him, slightly puzzled. what was wrong with the fact that i was concerned for my friend more than a slow dance?

''yeah i know" i said calmly "you're still one of my best friends" i smiled.

his face dropped ever so slightly as he sighed heavily. "well the thing is mari... i have to tell you something. I..I..-''

before he could say another word i broke free of his grasp, knowing all too well what was coming. i couldn't stand it. why couldn't he understand we were friends just friends? why was everything so complicated?

i ran down the steps of the building and ran home as fast as my heels would carry me- which wasn't fast but still better than a walking pace.

i struggled the keys out of my bag and opened the door my eyes unable to hold back any more tears than they already had. my eyes spilling full of hot tears streamed simultaneously down my face, undoubtedly smearing my mascara and makeup everywhere.

i heard loud and very fast footsteps upstairs as adrien came rushing down at full speed.

without saying anything he pulled me into a tight hug, getting my smudged mascara all over his (expensive) white shirt. he looked as if he couldn't care less.