Chapter 1

Richmond, Virginia, March 1874

Elizabeth Montgomery bounced in her father's carriage as it traversed the bumpy cobblestone streets of the former capital of the Confederacy. The face of the city had changed dramatically since the War Between the States, in which Richmond had nearly met its utter demise. But with the war being nine years past, Richmond was now bustling again, the people having set to rebuilding with fervor.

A few curls of dark hair which had escaped Elizabeth's up-do brushed against her face. She blew at the wisps as she attempted to read her copy of the popular novel, "Around the World in Eighty Days" by Jules Verne. Elizabeth's eighteen-year old younger sister, Amelia, sat beside her on the bench seat, her golden curls swaying with the motion of the carriage. Papa sat alone across from them, perusing his newspaper. It had been a long ride from the former plantation the family called home, which was nearly twenty miles outside of the city, in Powhatan County. Papa had needed to come to Richmond to handle a few business errands, and the sisters had decided to come along to check on the progress of the new ball gowns the local seamstress was making for them. Elizabeth felt sure the seamstress would want to do a fitting while she and Amelia were there.

"Oh, Lizzie," Amelia turned and bounced in her seat, "I simply cannot wait to try on my new gown! I can just imagine Mr. and Mrs. Watson's ball - some dashing gentleman will bow over my hand and ask me to dance- perhaps even for the waltz!" She sighed dramatically.

Mr. and Mrs. Watson, friends of Elizabeth's father which lived in Richmond, were having a ball in celebration of their daughter's coming out into society. Elizabeth and Amelia were invited and obliged to attend the party, which would take place two weeks hence.

Elizabeth closed the book she'd been reading and looked at her sister. Amelia looked almost breathless, a rosy blush at her cheeks. "Amelia, please. Get your head out of the clouds. I dare say no gentlemen will be at the ball; only puffed up peacocks looking to gain some impressionable young woman's affections, and her father's money, of course. Besides, the waltz is a rather scandalous dance, thought up by men, no doubt."

"Really, Elizabeth," Papa spoke up as she finished her speech. He closed the newspaper and narrowed his brown eyes on her. "Get down from your soap box, daughter. Do you truly believe all men are as you say?"

Elizabeth lowered her eyes and stared at her hands in her lap. "I know that you are not, Papa. Forgive me for sounding rude," she said softly. "But I've only ever met men like whom I've just described." Papa's eyes softened and he looked wistfully at his daughter.

Amelia ignored her sister's criticism. "Oh, Lizzie, they're not all bad as that. Just give them a chance. Besides, dancing is just for fun. You should try to remember that; you'll enjoy a much better time if you do!" Amelia's green eyes sparkled with excitement.

The carriage rolled to a stop in front of First Stanton Bank. Papa stepped down from the carriage then turned to help first Amelia, then Elizabeth, down to the dusty street.

"I'll be a little while at the bank; then I'll walk the block to collect you both from the seamstress. Stay there until I come for you," Papa instructed his daughters. He pushed his hat down on his head of dark hair.

"Yes, Papa," Amelia answered, suppressing a grin.

Papa gave them a knowing smile, and turned to enter the bank. The seamstress shop was not quite a block from the bank, just a short stroll. Elizabeth didn't mind the walk, as the early spring weather was beautiful and sunny. She glanced up briefly at the sound of a man trying to quiet his unruly horse across the busy avenue. The sidewalks were bustling with people travelling to and fro, their minds focused on whatever business they were conducting.