Chapter 3

Peter Montgomery sat in his office going over the ledgers and bills to be paid. He tapped his fingers against the solid oak desktop. Just how had things come to this? The money just didn't seem to stretch quite far enough. He ran his hand through his dark brown hair and sighed. He was going to have to go back over these books and see where cutbacks could be made until they could get over this minor setback.

Things would be in better shape if Lydia were still here...

He tensed at the thought of her. Ah, his beautiful, wonderful Lydia. She had run a ship-shape household. Peter missed her so much; it still hurt to think about her. If only he could have stopped her from getting into that carriage alone that awful night twelve years ago.

Just as Peter looked down again at his ledger, a knock sounded at his office door.

"Come in," Peter answered.

The butler, Thomas Briggs, opened the door and stepped inside. "There's a Mr. Charles Stanton here to see you, sir."

Peter's stomach knotted at the mention of that name. He couldn't imagine why Charles would come here. Unless...it had something to do with the money he'd borrowed from Charles' bank. Peter scowled. "Send him in."

"Yes, sir," Thomas nodded, and then disappeared.

Shortly after, a man with a haughty disposition, dressed to the hilt in the finest clothes and at the top of fashion, entered the office. The man stopped in front of Peter's desk, looking down at him smugly.

"Why, Peter, how good it is to see you," Charles greeted him with an arrogant grin.

"Charles." Peter's voice was flat.

"If you don't mind, I believe I'll have a seat," Charles moved into a chair facing the oak desk. His sarcasm wasn't lost on Peter.

Returning the sarcasm, Peter asked, "To what do I owe this honor, Charles? I believe it's been quite a while."

"Yes, well," Charles relaxed a little. "I'll get right to the point. I've got a proposal for you, and I think you will be quite interested."

Peter raised his eyebrows, eyeing Charles warily. "I'm listening."

"Well, in light of the sum of money you borrowed from my bank-"

Peter interrupted nervously, "I will be making a payment this week, I-"

Charles held up his hand. "No, no, it's not about that, Peter. I was about to say that it got me to thinking on something that would be beneficial to us both."

Peter exhaled and leaned back into his chair. He tried not to show his relief. "And what would that be, exactly?"

"Well, as you know, my son Edward will be taking over the banking business from me, and, well, you have two daughters of marrying age...I thought perhaps we could come to an agreement on an arranged marriage. It's time Edward settled down, and well, combining our families and our businesses would be quite prudent." Charles folded his hands over his waist and leaned back in his chair self assuredly.

Peter's eyes narrowed; his mouth an unwavering line. Why would Charles ask this of me? After everything that's passed between us?

"Peter, I admit we've had our share of rows in the past, but let's make bygones be bygones. You're a smart businessman. I know you can see that this is an advantageous match. The money from my bank can ensure the survival of your plantation." Charles paused.

Peter shifted in his chair, and stared at the ledger on his desk uncomfortably. He couldn't deny that the extra money flow would ease matters. The plantation had suffered from a bit of a drought the last two years, and consequently, less profit than expected had come from the harvests. He longed to leave his daughters well taken care of; but to force one of his girls into marriage? And to the son of the man who had been his rival so many years ago? Peter wasn't sure that he could trust Charles, but what if this was the only way to ensure his daughters' livelihood? His Elizabeth had no interest in society, and he wasn't sure she even wished to marry, for she had never encouraged a suitor. His Amelia, however, was vibrant and social and would be well suited to the lifestyle.