Chapter 26

Elizabeth left her father in his office after their long discussion. Peter said that he needed to get some work done, but that he would talk with Edward and her together later. Elizabeth made haste toward the library; she knew that Edward would be beside himself for news by now.

Elizabeth felt heavy with the knowledge of what Charles had done to her mother, but she tried to move that to the back of her mind for the moment. She wanted to feel the joy of telling Edward that her father had agreed to their courtship. There would be time afterward to feel the anguish of Lydia's situation.

She slowed as she came to the door to the library, pulling it open just a crack to peek through and watch Edward, wondering how rattled he would be. She smiled to herself; he was pacing the floor, mumbling to himself and glancing up at the clock on the fireplace mantle often.

Be still my heart... My, but isn't he handsome...

Finally, she decided to put an end to his torment and enter the library. His head jerked up and he halted when he caught sight of her. Their eyes met and locked for a moment, she could tell he was trying to read her expression for some kind of hint as to what had happened with her father.

In seconds he had crossed the room and was standing in front of her, holding her hands, his eyes searching hers. "Elizabeth? What did he say...?" His voice was low and breathy.

She looked up into the deep blue sea of his eyes. She could wait no longer; her face broke into a radiant smile. "He has given us his blessing, Edward!"

Edward grabbed her around the waist and swung her around, holding her tight. Elizabeth squealed and he laughed.

"Praise the Lord above!" He grinned like a schoolboy as he set her down on her feet again.

Elizabeth wrapped her arms around him as he brought his hands up to cup each side of her face. He stared down into her eyes, smiling, and brought his lips down to hers, letting them linger softly.

She had never known such happiness as in that moment. She tightened her hold on him, relishing in the closeness of him.

Edward pulled away from her just enough to gaze into her eyes again. "I have never been made happier than on this day. I will treasure you always, Elizabeth."

Elizabeth stood there, staring back at him, the joy in her heart overflowing. "Oh, Edward... You have made me so happy, thank you for not giving up when I, when I was so off-putting."

"My darling," Edward grinned down at her, "from the moment I saw you descending the staircase, wild bears couldn't have kept me away from you." He laughed, "My father tried, but he never had a chance." He moved one hand down to her neck.

Yes, how ironic it is that someone as vile as Charles is actually in some ways responsible for my happiness, that my kind and wonderful Edward could possibly be his son...

Elizabeth felt her heart racing in her chest, betraying her reaction to his touch. It was so hard to think with his fingers resting on the soft curve of her neck. But she had so much to tell him still.

She reached up and took his hand from her neck, holding it in hers. "Edward, I have so much to tell you, so much I've learned about my mother."

He brought her hand up to his lips, kissing her fingers. "By all means, please do enlighten me," he grinned at her, sending her stomach to her knees.

"Uh, um..." she tried to focus, closing her eyes for a second. "Well, last night, I was reading more in my mother's diary, and there was an entry about a confrontation she had with your father, then the following entry was torn from the book, with just a few distressed sentences remaining. It had an air of foreboding to it... I decided I would question my father to see what he knew about it, and he explained to me what had happened between Charles and Lydia that day."