I'll never leave your side again..

Ratchet fought back his fears as he raced through the desert, tracking the faint autobot distress signal. He pushed through the sand that whipped up and covered his windshield.

He skidded to a stop, transforming and quickly running over to the crater of destruction. He gasped, looking at the smoking heap of rubble. He frantically pulled out rocks, attempting to dig out the autobots trapped underneath.
The first autobot he found was Bluestreak, who was only banged up a bit. He pulled him out, setting him down and quickly running a few scans before going to look for Jazz.

"Hey Ratch, over here! Wheeljack's in pretty bad shape... He took most of the damage.." Jazz shouted, dragging Wheeljack behind him. He set him down, panting as Ratchet darted over.

"Are you alright?" Ratchet said, checking over Jazz.

"Yeah, just a few scrapes. Wheeljack here got nailed.." Jazz gasped, catching his breath.

Ratchet turned Wheeljack's limp frame over to assess the damage. He winced and looked away, not wanting to see him like this. He took a deep breath, turning back to Wheeljack's charred frame. He looked into his dull blue optics, which were barely flickering. He scanned his vitals, shocked by what he saw.

"His systems are shutting down at a rapid pace! Bluestreak, load him into the back, we need to get him to the Medbay as fast as possible!" Ratchet shouted, transforming and opening the doors to his alt form.

Bluestreak carefully loaded Wheeljack into Ratchet's compartment and Ratchet raced away, Bluestreak and Jazz following close behind. They quickly made it back to base, Ratchet monitoring Wheeljack's vitals the whole time.

Ratchet transformed, rushing to the Medbay with Wheeljack in his arms. He ignored the gasps from the passing mechs and pushed his way through. He shut the door, setting Wheeljack down on the berth and pulling out a stabilizer. He carefully opened up Wheeljack's chest compartment, revealing his spark chamber. He watched as the spark pulsed weakly, turning in its chamber. He attached the stabilizer to the circuits that were connected to the spark chamber. He slightly closed the chest panels to make room so that he could repair Wheeljack's damaged frame.

The damage was critical. Most of Wheeljack's lower chassis was beyond repair and had to replaced completely. The circuits within his waist and legs were fried, rendering him immobile for the moment. There was multiple shards of shrapnel lodged in Wheeljack's face and upper body, causing minor energon leakage. The worst injury was a gaping hole in his side which penetrated a major energon line, causing a system-wide shutdown to try and cope with the amount of damage.

Ratchet worked tirelessly for megacycles, trying to repair what he could. He didn't stop once, not even for a recharge or an energon break. Optimus had tried to tell him to rest but the Medic just snapped at him and continued with the procedure.

"I'm beginning to worry about him.. It's been cycles and Ratchet hasn't stopped trying to fix Wheeljack. I don't think he's going to make it through.." Optimus sighed, staring off at a wall.

"Don't talk like that! Wheeljack is one of the toughest bots I know! He has to pull through!" Bumblebee protested, crossing his arms.

"I know how ya feel, kid. But sometimes there's nothing you can do..." Ironhide said gravely, shaking his head.

"Ratchet won't stop until Wheeljack is at least stable and responsive. Their relationship is closer than I thought.." Perceptor mumbled, stepping next to Optimus.

"You mean, Wheeljack is in a relationship with Ratchet?" Ironhide tilted his head in surprise.

"Correct. Ratchet feels very strongly about Wheeljack. If he becomes one with the Allspark, Ratchet will never be the same again."

"That's not good.. How long has this been going on?" Ironhide grunted, turning to face Perceptor.

"A few weeks, actually. They've been getting closer each day. Wheeljack has even-"

"Alright that's enough, I don't need to know the lovey dovey stuff. Blegh." Ironhide rolled his optics, picturing Wheeljack kissing Ratchet in his mind.

Bumblebee chuckled at Ironhide's reaction.

"He kissed Ratchet? Wow, the Doc really does have a soft side!" Bumblebee exclaimed.

"Keep it down, we don't want to expose their secret to anyone else. Ratchet needs to focus on repairing Wheeljack.." Optimus said, peering through the window to the Medbay.

Coolant pooled at the corners of Ratchet's optics as he tried to keep Wheeljack alive. He tried again and again to stabilize his systems, but they kept failing on themselves. He ignored the beeping monitors next to him warning that Wheeljack's systems were failing. He already knew what was going on. He held back his tears and attempted to stabilize him again.

"Please Jack... I need you to live! I can't function without you! Please!" Ratchet pleaded, coolant flowing down his face.

He buried his face in Wheeljack's chassis and cried, thinking his love was gone forever. Ripped from him just like that. He sniffed, gripping Wheeljack's lifeless servo in his. He stared into his flickering optics and wiped away his tears.

"I never got to show you how I felt... We'll never get to share that high-grade that you wanted to.. I'll never get to hear your sweet, smooth voice ever again.." He sobbed, turning away from the berth and curling up in a chair.

Suddenly, Wheeljack's optics onlined and his body shuddered. The monitor started to beep wildly, showing signs of life. Ratchet leaped up and immediately pushed the stabilizer near Wheeljack's spark chamber. His systems stabilized and he stopped shuddering, seeming to sigh with relief.

Ratchet gasped, stumbling backward and covering his mouth. He breathed heavily, trying to calm himself down. He slowly went back over to the berth, checking on Wheeljack's vitals which were slowly repairing themselves. He brought over an IV and injected it into Wheeljack's exposed circuits. The bright blue energon flowed through the IV, filling his body with the life-giving substance.

Ratchet sighed, leaning back into the chair. He sighed and looked at Wheeljack again. His gaze softened and he held his servo in his. He caught his breath and slowly released the tension within him.

"I'll never leave you alone again..." he whispered, holding Wheeljack's servo tightly.