six

CHAPTER SIX

.  .  .

IT'S FAR TOO early to be speedily attempting to make his bed. But that's what Enoch is doing as he pulls the sheets over his bed. Overestimating the gap between his bed and the wall, there's a quiet thud as his head makes impact with the wall, followed by a small, involuntary groan that leaves his lips. It's also far too early for Enoch to be causing damage to himself. Far, far too early, he thinks as he doesn't bother moving—doesn't have the energy to move. For a brief moments, his mind falls asleep, eyes closed and forehead leaning against the wall.

That is, until something is pulled from underneath him and he slips forward. How he manages to avoid more pain is beyond the brunet—a miracle—but he lands comfortably on his bed. Looking up, Enoch spots the culprit: the exact person he was racing against to make his bed.

"Did you know some muggles can pull a table cloth out from underneath the tableware, without magic, and not disturb anything on it? Without magic." Enoch's neighbour, who introduced himself as Elijah not long after their first meeting (and seemed almost as excited about the fact the brunet's name started with 'E' as Gee did), tells the younger with a wide smile across his lips. He shakes his head in disbelief, looking at the blanket he's causing to float idly in the air. "I can barely manage with magic."

"They probably practice," mutters the empath as he climbs off his bed in defeat. He's been beat, again, by the pureblood Hufflepuff. Since their first interaction, Elijah has caught the brunet doing menial tasks by hand and disapproved very loudly. Every single time he's caught the boy, he's interrupted and finished the job with magic—because Enoch refuses to use his own. He will not use magic on tasks like making his bed, not when he's been able to do for the past seventeen years without.

"You're probably right." It takes a few seconds for Elijah to make the bed, with all the bedding working together—rather than against, which it seems to do for Enoch. Once completed, absolutely perfect, the older wizard looks at it with a smile on his lips. The pleased smile, along with the burst of sugar, tells the transfer that he means well, and it's the only reason he's put up with it so far. He's concerned for the boy, itching as he watches him, worried that he might lose his magic one day and it'll be all because of the fact he used it up on making a bed. It's part of the reason he rushes so much, even if it's way too early.

"We should go down to breakfast before all the good food is taken." Elijah states, not giving the younger a chance to respond. He grabs the Enoch's hand, popping candy crackling away in his mouth, and drags him out of the dormitory. Immediately, guilt fills the brunet because he hasn't waited for Gee and that's their thing, right? She waits for him, usually, because the boy wakes up later than her on most days, but today he hasn't even been given the option to wait for her. Will she be offended when she leaves, only to discover that Enoch has run ahead? Will she be upset with him?