The day we met

Today I was scheduled to attend another one of those endless parties which actually seems pretty pointless to me. And I have to plaster a fake smile for all those annoying nobel women and noble men. I'd much rather sit at my desk reading through the endless stack of documents that await my approval. That's the best possible use of my time I could think of. But it's not that I hate these parties, it's just those annoying people. Well, it's my duty as a prince of my country to associate with other nobles and the princes of the 5 kingdoms, so anything for my country. That's what I've lived my life for until this day. More exact would be I was made to live that but I know it's my duty.

I was in the ballroom going through the endless greetings before the party started. As I got an opening I went to grab a drink from the nearby table. As I reached for the Champagne another slim hand reached for it too and our hands met. I looked up to see a girl with an odd look on her face.

"Sorry"

"Oh,no....please excuse me", she quickly apologized and withdrew her hand. I took the flute and drowned it without a word as I was not very fond of being hoarded by women unlike another stupid Prince. I can hold my liquor well so I drowned a few more glasses as I felt eyes on me. I turned to see the girl looking at me like I'm a rare sight.

"What? Have you never seen anyone drink before?" I asked and she, caught staring, stuttered.

"Er,no....I.."

She took a long look at me like she's trying to figure out something.

I then heard a mocking voice. It was Prince Glenn.

"What nice manners. Instead of saying hello, you're here with the alcohol and the women."

This annoyed me. "....What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing in particular". He was smiling and I sighed.

"I don't know how you put up with being put on parade like this"

"We don't have a choice,do we? It's a part of our civil duty and all that. So come let's get going."

I nodded reluctantly as my time with the drinks came to an end.

"I know........Goodbye", I gave a fleeting glance to the girl as I muttered. I won't be seeing her again anyway and I haven't before too for that matter. At least she wasn't like those other women who throw themselves up at us. I didn't have any reason to be thinking about her so I along with Prince Glenn headed for the Dias. Even as I thought this I must admit I was intrigued by her even just a little.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for your patience. Please turn your eyes now to the balcony atop the spiral staircase."

"The eyes of the world are all upon them, the future kings of the six greatest kingdoms on earth."

This is nothing new to me and that's  what makes these even more boring and worthless. And I doubt the other princes enjoy these though I'm not sure. Starting with Prince Edward we descended down the stairs and applause filled the room. I wasn't particularly interested but I know better than that to show it on my face. Though I'm not Prince Edward or Prince Roberto to be smiling all the time though.

As soon as we got off the stairs women surrounded us and my mind flited to that girl. At least she wasn't annoying but it was not just that. There was something about her that made my mind go back to her. But I didn't know what it was and tried to shake it of as I tried to get away from the women. Then I heard a shrill shout and saw a girl fall down. Clumsy!I thought. Edward offered his hand calling out to her and there stood... that girl.

I just stood there watching them talk and she sounded like she knew him and it made me uneasy. Being the flower prince he complemented her still holding her hand saying she's divine and she blushed. Then out of nowhere Roberto and Keith joined their conversation. As Keith huffed and walked away Roberto said something along the lines of 'Keith seemed quite worked up. I wonder if he was trying to catch your eye.' She looked shocked and I had a strange feeling when he had to go and say "But I'd rather just talk to you more...What do you say?"

I suddenly felt like I had to stop this. "Forgive me. But tonight's party is for the princes to mingle. Don't you think you ought to refrain from such private matters?" I said in a stern voice and she turned to look at me. My eyes lingered on her for a moment but not wanting to be thought of as I'm staring I looked to the other princes.

Prince Edward apologized and bowed saying that he was the one who invited her and that made me sigh.  "......If you're going to go that far I don't particularly care what you do. But I would like you to avoid causing any more disruptions". Then I turned and walked towards the dance floor. Soon music filled the ballroom and people started to dance. And that means we'll be targets too.

As I was trying to get away from the flock of women without being rude I saw that girl walking towards the food tables. Nothing she did so far made sense, like, she didn't even seem so eager to even talk or to catch the eye of any prince when they were all standing around her. Maybe she's the shy type? Well whatever... It's not really like me but still I thought of asking her to dance and hurried towards her. As she started to walk away I called out to her back.

"Might I have this dance?"

I had no idea back then that my life had just started... in a good way!