I like me

As we returned to the manor after the party and I was now sitting in my room reading through the documents regarding the current bills in the parliament. I had left it to Jan to make arrangements for her stay. As I was sipping the tea Jan had prepared for me when the day's incidents flashed through my mind. What an odd day!

On the way home when I told her she'll be staying in the manor for a while and she looked unimpressed. Rather depressed.

"Do you not have hotels in Dres Van?", she asked in a quiet voice reading the atmosphere.

"Of course we do but...", Jan started to reason with her but she cut him off.

"Then I don't see why I can't stay in one...."

Just what is she saying? Does she not grasp the situation yet? She's a trespasser and I'm offering a stay at the manor but she wants to stay at a hotel?! What a weird woman! I had thought it's an honor to let her stay in the manor, after all she's a commoner getting to stay at the royal grounds. But she looked reluctant to do so for whatever her reasons were. Not to mention the unnessecary bills. Then I had a sudden thought, Maybe she doesn't want to be near me? I didn't know why I had that thought but it made me feel strange. So I addressed her coming up with a reason.

"Why do you insist on doing something that will obviously cost money?", I said with a tone as if to say no room for argument. She fell silent and Jan spoke with his cheerful voice.

"I shall arrange a room for you at the Manor. How about you come and stay there for the time being?"

"But...", she looked to me and I was already in irritation which I bet showed on my face.

"I'll wait on you myself to make sure you're well cared for", Jan said with the biggest smile and she nodded. Hmph, whatever!

As my mind wandered, feeling eyes on me I looked up to see Jan watching me with an incredulous look on his face.

"If you've got something to say then say it."

"I've never seen your highness spaced out before to not even hear me calling your name....", he said in a surprised tone, eyes wide. I didn't hear him call out to me as I was lost in my thoughts. So to hide it I cleared my throat.

"I was merely thinking about how to get this over with as soon as possible. Prepare the immigration papers for her departure", I said in a flat tone and he bowed.

"Of course, your highness. I'll take my leave now."

As the door shut I put the documents down and sighed. The King was away on diplomatic visit and won't be back for a while but I hoped this doesn't turn into a big deal. It was already late so I thought of getting some sleep. As I was lying on my bed my thoughts drifted to the girl in question, Odette Willows. The only woman I've ever had thoughts about twice, thrice... many times, for the first time in my life.

I woke early as usual the next morning. I felt myself feeling more positive than usual. I washed my face and got dressed in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. It's is my morning routine to exercise everyday. And according to the rules a civil servant, a prince no less, should stay fit. As I was at my morning jog in the castle gardens I went over the schedule for the day in my mind. I had paper work to do and a few meetings so I knew the day won't be hectic. I then saw her face in my minds eye and a smile came to my lips. Not meaning to I stopped and looked up at her room. 'She must be asleep....I should pay her a visit later.'
Stunned by the thought, shaking my head I resumed running.