Clearly confused

I was heading to the courtyard after my meeting with the officials but when I got there I could see no sight of Jan or the car and my ominous feeling was back at once. I saw the three of them turned towards the bushes doing something.

      “Hmm? Hasn't he brought the car around yet?”

      As I got near them already irritated by Jan’s actions I spotted those things on their hands and stopped. “What are you three doing?”

      “We were…”, she started to say when Wilfred cut in.

      “We found some kittens…”

      “Look. Aren't they cute?!” I was already feeling wary of standing there with three of those things so close when Prince Roberto held it out to me. In my fluster, I shouted as I stepped back.

      “S-stop it!”

      “Josh... Are you scared of cats…?” Roberto's question made me flush as red as it could.

      “W-what are you talking about? Of course not!” My voice was pitched and it only got higher as I went on. I shouted the first thing that came to my mind and stormed off. “I just remembered I have some work to do! You lot can go by yourselves!!”

      “Oh… Your highness!” I heard her call out to me but the last thing I wanted to do was look at her face in
this state of mine. So I pretended not to hear as I walked back into the Manor.

      In a short while, all the permissions for her departure were approved and I headed to her room in the hope of placing the documents before they return from the drive. But there in the hallway I spotted her heading in the direction of her room. As I hurried in her direction she called out to me surprised.

      “Your highness?!”

      “I thought you were going for a drive?”

      “Oh, it was cancelled…”

      I peered at her to see if she thinks less of me now after my behavior but she looked at me like always. Relief washed over me but I didn't let it show. Then I remembered our breakfast that morning and her disappointed look. At once all my reasons evaporated when I thought of her leaving the Manor in a day, once and for all and the documents felt suddenly heavy in my hand.

      “Anyway… About tomorrow's party, I don’t mind if you attend as well.”

      “Sorry…?”, she looked confused as she looked up at me.

      “You can come to the party.”

      “Are you sure that will be alright?” I had invited her in a friendly manner and she asked me eyes wide. I'd intended to smile at her but it seemed sad even to myself.

      “Well, Prince Wilfred and Prince Roberto already know you're here… And you want to go right?”

      “Yes. Thank you very much”, she smiled sweetly at me. As much as I'd rushed all the processes for her to leave it was difficult to give her the permit. Still I held the papers out at her.

      “Here.”

      “Oh…?”, she looked baffled but reached out for them.

      “It's your permit to leave the kingdom. Everything should be finalized by tomorrow, so you should be good to go the morning after.” She was staring blankly at those papers as I spoke to her. “So I guess tomorrow will your last day here at the Manor. So I figured you should go to the party and have a good time before you leave.”