Siren Song (JR: kas)

Rating: Teen

Warnings: mild language, gore, emotions, reference to previous abusive relationships

status: completed and closed (open for epilogue later)

-

I loved her.

I loved her so fucking much.

But how can you love a sociopath with a dripping knife? The one who carved a weeping smile into your best friend's stomach?

My best friend sprinted to her, and my love could've moved the knife or the smile on her face. But, no. No, of course not, why would they-

No,

No, no, god no,

No, no- NO-!

...

The woodland was gorgeous.

The trees had dipped from the summer's livid green to the lavish peach of autumn, individual bits and pieces falling from branches and coating the ground. However, we were in the beautiful lull where enough had fallen where the ground was coated for crunchy steps and piled into jumping pits, but the branches were still plentiful with oranges and greens for shade and sunlight-dappled ground.

We had decided to take a romp through the stunning landscape to get to our favorite lakespot- full of fun-loving faes and mermaids on the regular. The walk so far involved my lovely centaur-witch and cervitaur friends regularly leaving me in the dust, and me using the trees to chuck old acorns at their stupid horsey butts in retaliation.

We made it to the lakespot with no speed bumps. The lake was huge for its classification, feeding a delta that left the lake and traveled a few miles to the ocean. The lake, usually just called The Spot, was freshwater in itself. The sight of the light glimmering off of the minuscule ripples (mainly due to the currently unseen underwater residents) gave me a burst of energy. I proceeded to use this to sprint past my dumb friends- Honey, the cervitaur doe, yelping in surprise as I shoved past her and lept into the water.

In a flash of a second, I felt the coursing of clean water down my throat, choking myself for a second. Of course, my body quickly responded and I kicked off my shorts, legs tingling with electricity as they fused and I felt magick warp my body into that of my preferred siren form. I flared my gills and my frill, water rushing through the canals and soothing the old itch and ache. I felt along my teeth with my tongue, now sharpened and ready for munching on fish and, perhaps, the stray sailor.

"Illie!" I heard a shout from across the water. Beyond me, I watched as a beautiful golden-tailed siren sped toward me, pitch-black hair flowing behind her.

"Eve! You made it!" I laughed, hugging her.

"Yeah, I got here earlier 'cause I caught a ride with some book club guys." She shrugged, pulling back. She hooked her tail around mine, the golden color blending well with my kaleidoscope of a tail, blues and golds and greens in my scales. I felt the old feeling of harmonization with the friendly siren, we'd been friends since childhood.

Eve and I had grown up together on a reef that near the delta from the lake. We came of age around the same time and, being childhood friends, we decided to move out here together. We, of course, met Honey and Danielle (the centaur) at The Spot together, as well. Being together simply became facsimile by that point, but, of course, college separated us. We still met up often, of course, how could we not?