Chapter 6: Freak and Pet

Mottle walked down the streets with Prudence clustered to close that it was difficult to move without nudging the little she-wolf. "Do you know where we're going," she asked with her eyes glowing in surprise.

"I don't," answered Mottle as he licked her between the ears. "But, I think that you may like it." They didn't get out like this a lot unless they were holding rallies, so he thought that this might actually be enjoyable.

Prudence skipped a bit as she ran a little away from her brother. Mottle let out a firm growl, fearful of what Mary Lou might do to them if they set a whisker out of line. Prudence knew this and knew the repercussions of her actions, but she was still a pup. Se wanted to have fun and run around and play like any other pup. She was just unable to and no pup could be on their best behavior forever.

Prudence plastered her ears against her head before she bounded over to her Mottle. "S-Sorry," she stammered as she looked back at Mary Lou.

"It's alright," chided Mottle, looking at her beautiful, gleaming blue eyes. Even her blind eye seemed to shimmer in the New York City sunlight. "We all forget sometimes."

"I just want to play," exclaimed Prudence as she looked at her paws. "And I know where we're going can't be that much fun. We never have that much fun when we go places."

Mottle lowered his nose and nuzzled Prudence's cheek so that she rumbled in amusement. "We can make the best out of anything, just like we always do. What do you say; try for me?"

Prudence couldn't resist when he asked her like that. She gave a small smile and nodded. "Okay, Mottle."

"That's a good pup," Mottle praised warmly before he heard Credence snap his fingers. "Come on, we're falling behind!"

The two pelted forward and skidded to a halt besides Credence and Modesty. Modesty giggled as she tickled Prudence between the ears. Prudence seemed to enjoy herself as she wagged her tail and tapped one of her paws against the ground.

"Modesty, don't rile up the pets," Mary Lou scolded as Modesty shook her head as she looked at Prudence, raising her hand away from her flank.

Prudence looked over to Mottle. "Pets? Is that what we are?"

"Don't listen to her, Prudence. She doesn't mean what she says," reassured Mottle gently. "Just ignore her."

Prudence continued to frown as she gazed up at Mottle. The two walked side by side until they stopped at the front of the newspaper that was printed in New York. It was fairly large, but Mottle had never been inside. He hadn't had any desire to and he still didn't, but it wasn't like he had much of a choice.

They headed in quietly, gazing at each other as they walked forward. "Stay close to me," ordered Mottle as he licked her ear tip.

They walked through the entire building. Mottle wasn't paying attention to what they were saying since he hadn't had any interest in it. He didn't want to be there to begin with. All he wanted was to get back so that he could be as far away from Mary Lou as possible.

"Now, let me show you our head director," their guide was saying.

The man reeked of desperation and it was making Mottle cringed. It couldn't be good that they were here, but he forced himself to follow. He nudged Prudence forward right in front of him, making sure that she kept up.

They headed into a room with two men talking. They couldn't have looked more uninterested to be looking at Mary Lou's group. Mottle made sure to stand in front of Prudence and tuck the young pup behind him, just in case things got interesting. He wasn't going to allow anything to happen to her.