VIII. Big Feet

"This is a bad idea, Dalvin."

Dalvin stops and looks at me with me his flashlight on full blast. "Yes it is! Lucy thinks we're sleep so we can't get caught. This is a full trouble proof plan." I shake my head until he faces at me. "You don't think so?"

"Heck no!"

His loud hush startles me, causing for me to finch. "Shhhh! You'll startle him," snaps Dalvin.

We sat up last night and we were talking because Lucille let us be up for an extra half hour, she's the best. While we got to be up, Dalvin and I started talking. We talk about all kinds of crazy things once we start talking. Dalvin said he knows Big Foot is real. I think Big Foot is real too but I don't think he lives in North Carolina, Dalvin does. Dalvin swears that there are a lot of Big Foots like... multiple. He believes in Big Feet. I think he thinks they're a species or something. He wants to look for him and I said I'd go with him. Turns out, he already set up his booby-traps earlier when we outside playing, way earlier.

"Do you see anything?"

I shake my head as we walk back to back with our flashlights in our hands tight. His hair is still kind of wet from his shower. Lucille made sure mine was dry before she combed it. He watches the right and I watch the left. We tip toe through the forest. Our hearts drop when a twig snaps. From this point on, we decide to not say anything else. Big Foot has super high senses and he can hear too good. I'm not getting eaten because Dalvin tells me a knock-knock joke in the middle of the forest.

We sneak past the big kids' cabin where they're throwing a secret party. Dalvin and I pause and peek through the window. "Three's not a crowd to her, she says. Room 714, I'll be waiting. When I get there she's got incense, wine, and candles. It's such a freaky scene!" Dalvin looks at me and we start laughing as quiet as we can. Moving in perfect sync, we shimmy away from the window, doing a little dance that went with the bass-line of Rick James' song. The senior advisors and counselors weren't doing anything worth watching like we had expected. By the music playing, you'd think they were getting their party on... nope, nothing. You would think with a song like that something would be happening but no, almost everybody in there is laying down.

"Okay, you sure we won't get in trouble for this?"

I stop in the middle of walking back to back with Dalvin. I rub my eyes and watch the sight that I see. It's probably ten o'clock, somebody tell me why Lil' Don and Talia are messing around by the lake. "What are they doing?" I whisper to Dalvin and he shrugs. I shake my head at the sight. The way she was giggling and touching all over him. Don might as well gag me with a spoon, at least I'd feel a little better knowing that I allowed him to make me feel this way. "Nope," I say to myself almost silently. I can't let this feeling make me jealous like Talia. I just got to remember what Lucille told me. "Be like Lucy."

Dalvin leans over to me and whispers, "I don't know what Lucy said but... be like Lucy." I quietly giggle at his support. He doesn't even know what is going on in my head. "You know, I see how mean Talia is to you." I roll my eyes to keep from talking. "She's mean to me too. Last week, she got mad that I didn't know where Don was so she called me a puppy. I know I'm ugly right now but Don said one day in the future, I'll grow out of it."

He will.

I look at him and nod. "You will," I confirm.

"I know I will... but for right now, I think we should do the right thing." My eyebrows perks up and Dalvin cuts his flashlight off before placing it in his pocket. I do the same. "Come on..." He whispers. I follow him as he climbs up the tree as if we both aren't in our pajamas, him in his Star Trek and me in my Wonder Woman. Dalvin perches up high and I sit right beside him. We're both comfortable. He dig in his pocket and hands me a handful of pebbles.